New Temperature controller (Brewbit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
March feels so far away...I can't wait to get mine. Congrats on meeting your goal. I wouldn't be surprised if you pass it by almost 10k.

This is the only thing that is holding me back from pledging. I want to start new projects right now :mug:

This is the only thing that is holding me back from pledging. I want to start new projects right now :mug:

Well, if you want this... you'll have to wait till March, and if you don't pledge soon... you will be paying 200$ plus, after next March.:D

Well, if you want this... you'll have to wait till March, and if you don't pledge soon... you will be paying 200$ plus, after next March.:D

What happened to the 150$ price point that you said on reddit?

"Our temperature controller has WiFi, a nicer display, is remote controllable, can control two outputs independently based on two temperature inputs, and most importantly will be considerably less expensive than their final price of $200."

"BrewPi is more like $150, and I can tell you that we will be very competitive with that. The market is certainly an open question. That is part of the reason why we are going the KickStarter route rather than funding it ourselves or seeking VC/loans/etc because it lets us test out the demand without a large initial investment. If the demand is not there, then our campaign will fail and we will move on. We think that we are adding a lot of capability to this product above and beyond the alternatives, but as you said the market will decide the value of that."

"Our temperature controller has WiFi, a nicer display, is remote controllable, can control two outputs independently based on two temperature inputs, and most importantly will be considerably less expensive than their final price of $200."

"BrewPi is more like $150, and I can tell you that we will be very competitive with that. The market is certainly an open question. That is part of the reason why we are going the KickStarter route rather than funding it ourselves or seeking VC/loans/etc because it lets us test out the demand without a large initial investment. If the demand is not there, then our campaign will fail and we will move on. We think that we are adding a lot of capability to this product above and beyond the alternatives, but as you said the market will decide the value of that."

I am only quoting what they said, I am not connected with Brewbit in any way.

It was $150 if you pledged on Kickstarter. If you missed out on that, you can preorder a unit on their website for $200.

Now that I have been thinking about all the things I want to do with it, I should have pledged for 2! Come on March...

It was $150 if you pledged on Kickstarter. If you missed out on that, you can preorder a unit on their website for $200.

Now that I have been thinking about all the things I want to do with it, I should have pledged for 2! Come on March...

I think thats a terrible move by them. $150 is a perfect price point for this thing. At $200 I doubt they sell as many.

I think thats a terrible move by them. $150 is a perfect price point for this thing. At $200 I doubt they sell as many.

I think they are doing just fine. Their kickstarter exploded and it sounds like there have been loads of post-kickstarter orders.

This is no ordinary temp controller.

They haven't started shipping yet. They had to do a redesign on the case so it would be compatible with international and US connections.

Should start shipping in Mid April

They haven't started shipping yet. They had to do a redesign on the case so it would be compatible with international and US connections.

Glad I didnt go with this thing. I love the idea but not the wait.

Meh, I am willing to wait considering I saved 25-30% off retail. Functionally, I am fine with my STC-1000 setup for now so I am not losing anything here.

This thing is just too cool to pass up for such a bargain, plus I love having the ability to help a startup with a great idea get off the ground.

Meh, I am willing to wait considering I saved 25-30% off retail. Functionally, I am fine with my STC-1000 setup for now so I am not losing anything here.

This thing is just too cool to pass up for such a bargain, plus I love having the ability to help a startup with a great idea get off the ground.

Oh for sure, I get all that. I just wanted to get my lagerator up and running before march/april/may

Sure would be nice if the BrewBit crew could throw us a bone in the form of an official update. They haven't updated their blog since last October. :(

I'm definitely a potential customer, but going radio silent doesn't build confidence...

Here is an update from kickstarter.com from today.

"Production Plastics Complete:

After many revisions and some last minute changes to accommodate the international folks we are proud to announce that the production molds were completed and a sample run of 10 cases were injection molded.

We received the plastics last Wednesday and they look awesome!

It was a great feeling for us to finally hold the final product in ours hands after a year of hard work and a lot of stress and anxiety over whether the Model-T would ever come to market. We were so excited that we built and tested 3 production units that night and are happy to report that everything fit perfectly and it not only looks great but it works great as well.

FCC/CE Testing:

Now that the plastics are done we will be shipping two of the full production units off to be FCC and CE certified. This process will take about two weeks. Once we get word that everything is good to go we will be having the rest of the PCBs and plastics manufactured and then start assembling the units.

New Web Store Coming:

Over the past week we have been working on a new web store complete with shopping cart. The new store will be integrated in with BrewBit.com and will have all of our products for sale including Model-T’s, extra temperature probes, thermo-couple adapter boards and t-shirts. The new store will be easier for you to use and for us to maintain. We are hoping to roll out the new store within the next two weeks. We will keep everyone posted when it goes live.

Thermocouple Adapter Boards Complete:

We got our production thermocouple boards assembled and tested last Tuesday night. They worked great and will be a great addition to the Model-T for high temperature applications.

We are now working on a 3D printed case that will house the adapter boards. The thermocouple adapters will be available soon through our new web store.

RTD Adapter Board:

We have begun designing an RTD adapter board for those of you that would like to use your old RTD sensors with the Model-T. We are hoping to have this working within the next several months. It will, most likely, not be ready in time to ship with the first round of Kickstarter Model-Ts. When it is ready, will be be sure to send out an update, and it will be available through the new web store.

So, what's next?

We are getting closer every day, but here is what is left:

Compliance testing - 2 weeks
Production runs (plastics, inlet/outlet panels, PCBs, wiring harnesses) - 1 month
Assembly - 2 weeks
Shipping
It still looks like we are on schedule to start shipping mid April.

There's Still Time

If you haven't ordered a Model-T yet, there's still time to get in on the first production run. If you order in the next couple of weeks, your order will be included in the first production run.

We also have extra probes available in our online store. If you order now, we will refund your shipping costs and include the probe(s) with your Model-T.

We can't wait to get your Model-T into your hands!

<3 The BrewBit team"

Sure would be nice if the BrewBit crew could throw us a bone in the form of an official update. They haven't updated their blog since last October. :(

I'm definitely a potential customer, but going radio silent doesn't build confidence...

There hasn't been radio silence on the Kickstarter page.

They update roughly once a month with in depth posts with a lot of stuff that goes over my head. But I appreciate them being so upfront.They should probably cross post those posts on their blog so people dont think there is radio silence, bc they have actually been very good about updates. Which is greatly appreciated.

I am digging up this thread again since there's been an update and I am totally nerding out over having pre-ordered this thing.

So check it

I really can't wait for mine either. I've got a lot of beer to make that I have been putting off for this. I'm about to be a busy brewer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just got an email from the brewbit kickstarter campaign. It was a survey for backers as to where TO SHIP THE MODEL-T!!!! I can't imagine our wait will be much longer now, my friends...

Cool... I missed the kick starter but ordered two a couple weeks ago and just got two chest freezers delivered today! :-D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

Has anyone gotten theirs yet? I'm getting a little impatient and would at least like a confirmed ship date...

This is an excerpt from the last update from them.

" It looks like we are right on track to start shipping units by the middle of April. Thanks to everyone for hanging in there with us. We know you will be happy with the final product and that it will be well worth the wait. We can’t wait to get a Model-T into your hands!"

- The BrewBit team

Exactly... Wasn't that from March tenth? About a month ago? And it says it LOOKS like they will ship BY the middle of April and the middle of April is ten days away...

Thats why I didnt go with this thing. Kickstarters never deliver near the time they promise. Cool product but its a bit overpriced IMHO.

Well if you can go buy something for the less money today that has the same features then go for it!

But I don't think so, that's why I am waiting patiently. You have to remember that kickstarter projects are fellow people like us who have a good idea.

In most cases they are not manufacturers, or large corporations they are starting in a garage trying to go large scale and learning the ropes as they go. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, yes some could do better with updates, but it's a learning process for them too!

Just My thoughts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Yeah... I was just looking at brewpi and although I know that I can get it all put together, I really don't want to spend the time to do it and would rather spend my time doing other things like building out my keezers and brewing beer.

So... I guess I'll wait BUT weekly updates at this point would be nice since if it's going to be longer than what was stated I would probably find a cheap temporary solution until this thing ships but I'd hate to spend money on something just to get by if these are going to ship in a week.

I think I'll ask on their facebook page... Cheers!

ok... I ordered the STC1000 for one of my chest freezers for now... I can't believe how cheap that thing is.... Since brewbit has been so quiet I'll go ahead and assume they won't be shipping within nine days.... I'm totally looking forward to getting the two that I ordered though; just need to get some beer kegged and can't wait.

OK... I did get a response back on facebook and here it is in case anyone was wondering... :
"We are waiting on one last component to come in and then we can start final assembly. We have 500 to get through so it will take us a couple weeks to get through them all. We plan to start shipping in a couple weeks and hopefully finish by the start of May. We wish we had firm dates but this is the first time we have done this, and are honestly not sure how long it will take."

I can live with that... Cheers!

ok... I ordered the STC1000 for one of my chest freezers for now... I can't believe how cheap that thing is.... Since brewbit has been so quiet I'll go ahead and assume they won't be shipping within nine days.... I'm totally looking forward to getting the two that I ordered though; just need to get some beer kegged and can't wait.

Why didn't you buy that 10 months ago when we were all buying in on this? :) It's what I have been using for 2 years now, it's great but still manual if you want to slowly ramp a Saison, which is what I am doing often.

I have been pretty patient but I'm starting to get a bit anxious.

Wow idk what rock I've been under I haven't heard of this till now. Anyone know what they mean by one of their statements saying they will refund the shipping? And this may be a stupid question but is this like the STC1000 as far as being able to control cold and hot ? Or does it only work on heating?

- ISM NRP

Yea its dual stage just like the STC100, hot and cold controls, but its supposed to be a much more powerful tool than just the controller. I am looking forward to being able to set a fermentation profile and watch it from the browser, I am also hoping to use my as a RIMS controller.

I'm assuming everyone saw the Kickstarter update, all units shipped no later than the end of May. But I guess shipping will start towards the end if April.

All told, with the issues they had on case redesigns for the international version and the issues with the first pcb's and alignment, to start shipping a month after the estimates on kickstarter is very impressive. Pebble was about 5-6 months late, Kegbot was ontime/early but they had a finished product, range smart thermometers are about 2 months late already.

Why didn't you buy that 10 months ago when we were all buying in on this? :) It's what I have been using for 2 years now, it's great but still manual if you want to slowly ramp a Saison, which is what I am doing often.

I have been pretty patient but I'm starting to get a bit anxious.

Ha... Because I didn't have a Keezer... :D

The STC is pretty impressive for 17 bucks! lol... I had no idea... I figure it'll be an awesome backup controller should I ever need one after I start using the brewbits...

Ya seriously. I've decided to just be surprised when it shows up instead of checking for updates all the time.

Back