New Stainless Diptube From Bobby_M

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogger42

Reaction score
Just ordered a three way tee and thermometer and diptube from Bobby and he offered to let me beta test his new stainless diptube fitted to a female bushing. It is AWESOME (looking that is). I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. Will report back on performance.

image-791868559.jpg

You suck ... though you are only 3 hours up the road so a mugging is a realistic possibility. :)

Was looking at his sight-glass/thermometer the other day ... apparently my calibrated stick isn't as accurate as I hoped. Only kegged up 4ish gallons on the last batch.

The tricky thing about SS diptubes that are fixed into a threaded fitting is that they won't thread on to a welded bulkhead if it doesn't clear the bottom of the pot. If it snags the bottom when threading in, you'd have to trim the diptube bottom until it just clears.

The one you see there would work well integrated into a weldless bulkhead since it doesn't have to rotate.

Also, if I were to position the open end of the diptube to the side (as opposed to the bottom-middle of the keggle), would it leave the trub behind?

FYI I plan on using a steel wire around the bottom of the dip tube to attempt to filter some of the break material. If I am using whole leaf hops, will that clog the flow?

Also need to give a shout out for the heat shield, WAY more elegant than the ghetto arrangement I had before!!!

image-2690858203.jpg

Hmm, we got lucky and it fit like a glove. I think the scrubby will work fine for whole hops.

Brightspot, do you have a 1/2" male NPT inside your kettles already? Frogger42 specifically asked if I had any dip tubes with 1/2" female NPT on them to deal with that situation.

Back