New spike lids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll probably be upgrading to one of these for my Flex+ when they become available. Is there really a situation where having both a PRV and blow off installed is needed though? Seems like it would be either or, as you cannot pressurize with the blow off installed. I must be missing something obvious.

Maybe its for a blow off cane . You can close a valve on the cane ? Then the prv comes into play . Eliminating the need to swap them out . Your right though , a blow off tube wouldn't work .

Maybe its for a blow off cane . You can close a valve on the cane ? Then the prv comes into play . Eliminating the need to swap them out .
Yep, that's exactly the situation, thank you. I currently do the swap as soon as the krausen begins to subside and feel the active yeast scrub any oxygen ingress. But the cane and valve would be a guarantee.

I'll probably be upgrading to one of these for my Flex+ when they become available. Is there really a situation where having both a PRV and blow off installed is needed though? Seems like it would be either or, as you cannot pressurize with the blow off installed. I must be missing something obvious.
I imagine many guys will mount each accessory with a butterfly valve inline.

For my system, an additional 2" TC port would be all that I'd need. I currently use a Blichmann spunding valve/blowoff Spunding Valve attached to an 8" spool, then a butterfly valve below that attached to the lid to purge and drop my dry hop additions. The 1.5" butterfly valve is a fairly tight opening for the pellets. If they get lodged, a couple of open/close cycles and a tap tap usually clears any blockage. A 2" TC port would certainly make things easier but no biggie. I did reach out to Spike regarding a custom lid but that is not something they offer at this time.

I don't think so. The PRV needs to be ahead of the blowoff to be effective... unless I too am missing something.

@Jag75 I am also definitely in for this new lid. already set to get the email when its available to order. I agree the hop port should be 2inch but also hoping they will make a hop doser as mentioned in their announcement here on hbt. that way i dont have to purchase one elsewhere. I plan to purchase a valve for each respective port so that i can open and close them as needed without any oxygen ingress. i know they come with caps for each port but i would rather have the blowoff in place with its valve open during fermentation then simply close the valve and open the one for the gas manifold w/ prv. and same for the hop port, i will be getting something that allows me to put hops in a cylinder and purge it with co2 then close it and drop the hops. my goal is to have a completely oxygen free post fermentation system and this lid is going to make that happen. CANT FREAKIN WAIT!

Cheers!

I don’t get the new lid ... the only thing I was hoping for was a bigger port. I don’t see the need for so many ports. There is nothing you couldn’t do with a simple tee ... but that’s just my opinion. It’s a smart move from them though ... more ports more accessories to sell

Back