New Orleans Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Homebrewer in New Orleans here. Made 3 batches so far this year. Weihenstaphaner clone current in fermentor, Sweetwater 420 clone currently aging in bottles and just made a coffee stout recipe I'm going to make soon. Any other homebrewers in New Orleans hit me up.

Hello Grandpa

I am new here myself, this is actually my first post. Been reading and lurking for a few days. We (my son and I) made our first batch of dark Belgian ale a week ago. The waiting is killing me. We have two more ferminting also, a Guinness clone and I forgot what my son brewed.

After reading here, I know we made a few noob mistakes. Pitched too warm, didn't take initial hydrometer reading.

We are just gtting started, so I don't expect to know everything up front.

Where do you get your supplies? I like Aaron at Brewstock.

I am on the westbank (Belle Chasse), BTW

Hello Grandpa

I am new here myself, this is actually my first post. Been reading and lurking for a few days. We (my son and I) made our first batch of dark Belgian ale a week ago. The waiting is killing me. We have two more ferminting also, a Guinness clone and I forgot what my son brewed.

After reading here, I know we made a few noob mistakes. Pitched too warm, didn't take initial hydrometer reading.

We are just gtting started, so I don't expect to know everything up front.

Where do you get your supplies? I like Aaron at Brewstock.

I am on the westbank (Belle Chasse), BTW

Hey Gator, yea I pretty much use Aaron at the Brewstock exclusively. He is very knowledgable and has a good selection of grains. I'm just now starting to branch into all grain and I'm starting to formulate my own recipes, so it's an exciting time in my brewing.

I know it's tough to be patient, but please continue to be patient with your brew. I made the mistake on my first brew, an orange blossom honey wheat, of drinking it before it was ready. It was good, but when I got to the last 6 pack it was great. Wish I had waited to drink them all at the time I drank that last 6 pack.

Send me any tips you might have on making that stout. I just formulated a coffee stout recipe that I'm going to be making soon, so any pointers on making stouts would be great.

PM me if you want to get together for a brew or just trade some tips about brewing in New Orleans. Oh I'm uptown btw.

Good to see there are some New Orleans brewers. I just moved here a few days ago and knew there must be some people brewing because I drove saw Brewstock when I was driving around. It's not too far from my place.... My homebrew stuff was the only "extra" stuff I brought with me when I moved with the hope of getting back into brewing.

Another welcome from not quite as far north.....Across the lake and a little down the highway.

Anyway, I'm no expert, but I can give you one piece of advice about stouts. You remember how much better that last 6 of your orange blossom was? Well, use that lesson with your stouts.....Patience, Grasshopper. Seriously, if you're bottling, you have to give them AT LEAST a month in the bottle. If you can bottle them and hide them away for 2-3 months, you'll love yourself even more.

I love the Denham Springs area, such a nice place to get away from New Olreans.

I went to brewstock yesterday and brewed my chocolate stout last night. :ban:

PM me if you guys have FB account.

I guess you can tell from my screen name that I am not a LSU fan. haha
I'm a transplant here. Hope LSU gets spanked by Oregon. :p Guess yall finally got rid of Jefferson. Not trying to make enimies, but this is football. GO GATORS :ban:

Even though yall are tigers, I will still say hi to you on the street. :p

GatorBrew, i'm a Fla native (and gator fan) getting ready to move to NOLA as well. Don't see myself converting to being an LSU fan anytime either. Going to be living in Mandeville. Anyone going to the beerfest in Mandeville in March? Might be a good time for a swap. Sounds like I'll have to check out brewstock too once we get to town.

Craigvu,

You might want to check out Main Grain also. Brewing supplies (AND MORE!) and it's just a few miles north of I-12 from Mandeville.

GatorBrew, i'm a Fla native (and gator fan) getting ready to move to NOLA as well. Don't see myself converting to being an LSU fan anytime either. Going to be living in Mandeville. Anyone going to the beerfest in Mandeville in March? Might be a good time for a swap. Sounds like I'll have to check out brewstock too once we get to town.

I am actually a Ca native, but moved to Fl when I was 19. Lived in Gainesville for many years. That's where I learned what a real football team was. :mug: Never could get onboard with LSU.

Beerfest sounds good to me. Good little drive for me though.

Back