New MN law... please enlighten.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbeard5289

Reaction score
I was searching around craigslist this morning and came across this posting...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/for/1675734701.html

Electric Nano Brewery - $4200

Date: 2010-04-04, 7:34AM CDT
Reply to: [email protected]

All electric automated brewing system. With new law in Minnesota it is possible to start a business selling beer brewed in a basement. With the automation of the Brewmation system, it is ideal for this type of business. For details about the system, please visit the web site at http://www.brewmation.com/Brewery.html

Shipping to Minnesota will be $250.

In the ad he/she speaks of a new law in Minnesota that would make it possible to have a business of selling beer brewed in a basement.

Does anyone know what law they are referring to? I am a resident of MN and don't recall hearing of any such law being recommended much less pass.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I doubt I will be making any homebrew to sell anytime soon but it would be nice to discuss with other homebrewers at the LHBS the next time I go.

Thanks
Redbeard5289

Underground Brewing

Wanna brew in a basement and sell it? Now you can, under legislation which passed the Minnesota House today. What originated as a bill for a constituent who was making and brewing tea in his basement, and ran into problems with inspections, allows a business to “manufacture, mix, or compound flavored beverage base or syrup; bottle or treat water; package carbonated or noncarbonated beverages; or bottle beer or other malt beverages.” Bring.com notes that “the ban on basement brewing is a holdover from the days when basements were often plagued with mildew problems.”

An amendment to significantly reduce the state fee on distillers was withdrawn with a promise to give the bill of the same purpose a hearing.

The brewing bill is working its way through the Senate committee process.

Latest posts

Back