New Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrux

Reaction score
Just got a new mill and ground 10lb of grain before I read to clean off the light coating of food grade oil by grinding 1/2 lb of grain. Do I need to throw all this out and wait for more grain to be delivered or should it be ok?

Thanks

Should you have washed it first? Probably. Will it be a disaster if you brew with that grain? Probably not. If it's food grade you know, at the very least, it won't hurt you. Worst case scenario I think it could possibly affect your head retention of the final product. And that is a VERY worst case. I can't imagine there being enough of it transferred to the grain to cause any detectable differences. Plus, between boiling it and racking it you're likely to leave much of it behind in the kettle and fermentation vessel.

I say go for it! Good luck!

Totally agree with SouthFork... A minor 'oops', but not a big deal, and definitely not worth wasting 10lbs of grain over.

Back