New member.... New to brewing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongrill

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post.

Hello! I wanted to introduce myself to the community. I found out about this community through my local bottle shop in Lakewood, NJ. One of the employees home brews and when I told him I just bought a beginners kit, he became very excited and the first thing that came out of his mouth was "GO ON HOMEBREWTALK.COM"

So here I am. Ready to take on my first real brew kit (I dabbled with a Mr. Beer once. It came out tasting like apple juice.).

I ordered a Northern Brewer One Gallon kit with the White House Honey Porter. I figured the one gallon kits would suffice for me to start. I really do not have the room for five gallons of beer and when I discovered beer recipes are scaleable it seems like the right way to go.

Along with the kit I ordered a few extra things that I think would help me:

- ProAccurate digital thermometer
- Cacao nibs for the honey porter - I like to experiment!
- 2 gallon bucket and spigot for bottling - I heard it was easier to bottle from a bucket than a siphon from the fermenting jug

I also ordered a second recipe (Caribou Slobber) and an extra one gallon fermentor because I'm not one to wait and wanted to make a second brew while waiting for the first one.

Anything else you all think I need or is everything that comes with the kit sufficient to start with?

Thanks!

Jon

Um... On the Cacao nibs for the honey porter, how will you know if your process is done right and the cacao nibs were the cause of a problem? Why not start with the recipe as you got it and brew it up, sample it, then repeat with the nibs? It's not like you are making a 100 bbl batch. You can drink that one gallon in a week if you work at it.

RM-MN said:
Um... On the Cacao nibs for the honey porter, how will you know if your process is done right and the cacao nibs were the cause of a problem? Why not start with the recipe as you got it and brew it up, sample it, then repeat with the nibs? It's not like you are making a 100 bbl batch. You can drink that one gallon in a week if you work at it.

That's the plan! I had a gift certificate to use up. Saving them for next time!

You're going to have a good time with this. I got started over the summer, and am pretty much hooked. Don't be surprised if you find yourself wanting to upscale your capacity to larger batches, even if not a full five-gallons. I started with five gallon, but bought one-gallon growlers to play with "sub batches." But, I've since decided 3-3.5 gallons is the perfect size for me. Lowes has food-grade buckets pretty cheap, so I made some small fermenting buckets last month.

ryan_howard said:
You're going to have a good time with this. I got started over the summer, and am pretty much hooked. Don't be surprised if you find yourself wanting to upscale your capacity to larger batches, even if not a full five-gallons. I started with five gallon, but bought one-gallon growlers to play with "sub batches." But, I've since decided 3-3.5 gallons is the perfect size for me. Lowes has food-grade buckets pretty cheap, so I made some small fermenting buckets last month.

Cool! I think ill stick with one gallon batches for a while. Not much room and like my friends, my tastes change quite frequently. I don't want to be stuck with tons of one brew!

Back