New Member & Beer Lover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimzella

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is David, and unfortunately i happen to live in Pennsylvania. This state's tax on Beer is OUTRAGEOUS!! A 22oz bottle of Chimay blue = 14.99 I have a friend in Cincinatti (lets call him Funk) he can get the same bottle for 8.99?!??! i was shocked!! This is the reason i decided to homebrew. I love Chimay Blue (i know, there is prob better) but i am very limited with selection here in western PA. My question is.. will i be satisfied with this recipe once i've come to understand home brewing? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/easy-chimay-blue-clone-73965/

Also, to make this selection of brew.. can someone point me in the right direction as far as equipment & pitfalls (availability of ingredients ect..) i mean.. can i just buy them 2 bucket kits i see on e-line to make this brew... (lol) around 80-100 dollars or will this recipe require a more elaborate setup.. maybe i'm jumping too far ahead> for this may be too much of a challenge for a newbie? I want to make a beer i am going to like (as i like chimay) but i dont want to spend the 14.99 anymore. I know this beer does take awhile 6 months to a year before drinking, i am fine with that. I can buy Yuengling to get me by while this beer ferments. i have a basement with stable conditions for storage.

Thank you for helping me out..
Dave - - love the site got much info here. :mug:

Midwest has a basic starter brewing kit for $65. The difference comes in when you want to do all grain. More equipment & more steps/attention in the process. AG might be a bit much for a beginner to tackle,but a few on here claim to have done just that. How steep of a learning curve can you handle? Interesting recipe,btw.

Hello everyone,

My name is David, and unfortunately i happen to live in Pennsylvania. This state's tax on Beer is OUTRAGEOUS!! A 22oz bottle of Chimay blue = 14.99 I have a friend in Cincinatti (lets call him Funk) he can get the same bottle for 8.99?!??! i was shocked!! This is the reason i decided to homebrew. I love Chimay Blue (i know, there is prob better) but i am very limited with selection here in western PA. :

You live in PA and think you have a liited selection? Try living down here in LA!

My question is.. will i be satisfied with this recipe once i've come to understand home brewing? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/easy-chimay-blue-clone-73965/

Also, to make this selection of brew.. can someone point me in the right direction as far as equipment & pitfalls (availability of ingredients ect..) i mean.. can i just buy them 2 bucket kits i see on e-line to make this brew... (lol) around 80-100 dollars or will this recipe require a more elaborate setup.. maybe i'm jumping too far ahead> for this may be too much of a challenge for a newbie? :

That recipe will certainly be possible to brew with a basic starter kit. Just don't be disappointed if the first batch doesn't taste the same as it does from the brewery. You'll learn and over time you'll learn what you need to adjust for your personal method(s). You will probably even learn what you want to adjust to make a beer you may like even better than the Chimay.

thanks for the replies. I think i can handle a steep curve, i learned astrophotography and that a pretty high curve.. (still learning) as i think i will still be learning and climbing as i try my hand at brewing.

Guidry said:
You live in PA and think you have a liited selection? Try living down here in LA!

You have a limited selection in LA?? You must be talking about Lower Alabama, not LA, California, right? I don't live there and have only been there one time, but southern California has to have better craft brew availability than western PA.

twgardner2 said:
You have a limited selection in LA?? You must be talking about Lower Alabama, not LA, California, right? I don't live there and have only been there one time, but southern California has to have better craft brew availability than western PA.

Lol, I think he was referencing Luisisiana(loosiana lol I used to live at fort polk :ban:)?

Latest posts

Back