new member, and first timer with all grain!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhyde

Reaction score
So I am trying for the first time Arrogant Bastard. Any suggestions and will a cellar style basement due for storage. Tends to get some dampness to it.

Temperature is the key, you need to be near the temp required by the yeast, in fact 3-4 degrees lower than what the yeast manufacturer recommendeds would be ideal since the fermentation temps will be a little higher than ambient temperature. The dampness shouldn't be a problem as long as there is not mold everywhere and you keep your fermenter sanitized and sealed.

So my next question is. Is it totally necessary to have all grain equipment. I have cooled sauces for restaurants using ice baths. I have the typical five gallon bucket set up. I was concerned about the ingredients vs equipment. Can I get some clarification please?

"Can" all grain be done with less than the minimum equipment? yes
"Should" it be done that way? I think just about everyone who has tried, has only done it once and regret it.

If you want All Grain on the cheap, type "BIAB" into the search bar and learn all about "Brew In A Bag" which I think we all agree is about the simplest form of AG there is... but you WILL want a chilling device of some sort. An Ice bath will cool 5 gallons of wort... in about 6 hours or more... not fun.

Yep a chiller is one of the best investments you can make if you want your brewday to go a bit faster and easier.

So my next question is. Is it totally necessary to have all grain equipment. I have cooled sauces for restaurants using ice baths. I have the typical five gallon bucket set up. I was concerned about the ingredients vs equipment. Can I get some clarification please?

Yeah, that's one of those things that you *can* get away with, but it causes so much trouble, you'll be begging to spend the extra money by time it's over. :cross:

I did something similar when I first started. I didn't want to spend the extra money on Star San, and I figured how bad could it be to just sanitize with the C-Brite that came with my kit? Long story short, I went out and bought Star San the next day.

Not the same exact situation, but relevant. :mug:

Back