New member and 'did I ruin it' all in one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWiggles

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here and fairly new to the homebrew scene. I'm 21 and currently reside in Tuscaloosa, Al attending the university. So far I have made a few small 1 gallon batches of cider and apfelwein with satisfactory results. I even made a cyser(if you can call it that) with agave nectar rather than honey. But on to my obligatory 'did I ruin it?' post. Today was my first attempt at making a beer. I ventured down to my 'local' homebrew supplier, "ALABREW", and splurged on a 5 gal bucket and a recipe mix for a Newcastle brown ale clone. I followed their instructions to a tee with only a few roadbumps i.e. boil-over. My biggest mistake was when I had everything done and in my bucket, lid on securely, I was putting the airlock on and apparantly pushed too hard/too quick and the grommet fell into my bucket (Oh no!). So without a spoon long enough I had to go in after it bare-handed. I washed up to my elbow with near scalding water and dawn dish soap beforehand but I just gotta know, did I ruin it?

yesitsruinedsendittomeforproperdisposal

Ok, now that that's out of the way... No, odds are your beer is just fine. Next time that happens (and it probably will since it happens a lot) just leave the grommet in there. You can just set the airlock in the hole, or you can wrap it with a little sanitized plastic wrap to make it fit snugly and then rescue your grommet after your done fermenting.

And as a name for the batch, can I suggest "Bareknuckle Brown"?

Yea, I figured it should be fine after reading the extensive list of "did I ruin it" Q's but I figured wth, I might as well ask. Thanks for the tip for future reference too. And yes! Bareknuckle Brown sounds great! I actually lol'd when I read that. Plus I can go one step further, Brett's Bareknuckle Brown, just to make it a bit more personal.
Thanks

"Without a doubt the single and most dramatically significant thing that can spoil the taste of your beer is...worrying." -Charlie Papazian

Welcome to HBT, MrWiggles.

Note: I could not write the previous line with a straight face.

Good, that's the point in the name. I don't remember why I came up with this particular nickname but, I remember in middle school when people asked about it I would tell them "Well, because I'm.. I'm impotent.." and have a good laugh later at their reactions (yes, I was quite the oddball). I'm honestly not too terribly worried about it though, especially after the great name ChshreCat suggested. I just had to get the 'did I ruin it" out of the way now so as to not worry over subsequent batches.

I did that exact same thing to my first beer and ever since I attach the airlock to the lid before putting the lid on the bucket.

I did one better. I took out the grommet and used a stopper that fit the hole instead. Works a lot better.

First off, we say "Roll Tide" 'round these parts! (J/k, I'm not too worried about the whole school spirit thing) and secondly, I'm not quite prepared to move on to all grain just yet. I will, however, keep that recipe for future reference. I'm an unemployed college kid (I'm workin' on getting a job) so all I have to work with is 5 1gal glass jugs and a 5gal fermenter bucket, as well as a 12quart pot. I'm almost certain my brew is doing just fine though as it is going about 2 bubbles per second in the airlock (yea yea, I know the airlock isn't a reliable means of keeping tabs on the fermenting process). I can't wait though 'till I have the money for more equipment because I see this becoming a full time hobby. Hopefully I can brew a legitimate "Bareknuckle Brown" of my own recipe, rather than a clone of another brew.

BTW - Racking my Apfelwein mit Pfirschen tonight! Hope it comes out as delicious as it sounds(and looks). Also I had a minor blowoff with my Cyser-esque apfelwein (using agave nectar rather than honey) so I had to dump some of the airlock's contents so it wouldnt fall back in. I really need to invest in a hydrometer as well...

Back