New Mash Tun - False Bottom vs. Manifold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k2brew

Reaction score
My turkey fryer is being delivered tomorrow and I have found a pretty reasonably priced 5 gal round beverage cooler at Lowes.

My question is should I get a false bottom (I'm in Cincinnati and will be at Listermann's to pick up my grains anyway) or should I make my own manifold?

The cost of the false bottom is about $21 and I haven't really priced out the cost for a manifold.

I was going to use the SS braid shown in the easy 10 gal MLT conversion thread, but I have since read that there are some disadvantages when fly sparging and using the SS braid.

My other option is to make a manifold using CPVC/copper, but I am concerned about cleaning it, should I glue the thing together or leave it 'loose' so that I can take it apart to clean? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

I just built a 15g MLT using a copper manifold. I've heard the benefits of both and I went with copper because I had some copper pipe laying around the house. If your going with a manifold leave is loose. The fit between the copper pipes is plenty snug to keep any grist from getting through. Its also much easier to clean when you can take it apart. I just take all my copper pieces and throw them in the dish washer when I'm done. They come out squeeky clean.

What size of copper tubing should I/ did you use?

Did you drill holes & of what diameter?

Could you estimate the cost?

Thanks!

I'd go with the false bottom first, then the copper/pvc manifold and then the stainless braid - if i had to choose. Supposedly the false bottom is supposed to give you the best efficiency. My stainless braid just gave me 62% last brew day, boo!

I'd go with a false bottom, hands down. Plus, considering the price of copper and your time and effort, you wouldn't save much by making a braid.

I started with the Stainless braid and found I'd pound the hell out of it while stirring the mash.

Now I'm on the false bottom. I have to vorlauf much more with the FB then I ever did with the braid. Ended up using a SS chore boy scrubie to act as a secondary filter underneath the FB.

I'm thinking manifold when I build a new mashtun.

I went with the igloo cube. 29.99 at walmart. Then I used 3/4 copper pipe for the manifold. Then drilled 1/8 inch holes on all sides including the 90's and on the T's. Haven't had a problem with stuck sparges at all and my efficency has been good. Like I said, I've heard the benefits of the false bottoms, but I felt I had more control over my flow rate using a custom manifold. I've heard PVC works well to, but haven't tried it.

Ive only used a SS braid, but have never had any issues with it. At some point I may try out a manifold and see if it affects my results.

Given the desire to fly sparge, that really should take the braid out of the equation unless you form it into a ring. Since it's a relatively small diameter vessel, your drainage should be plenty uniform. I have a love/hate relationship with false bottoms. The round holes are pretty prone to plugging with the grain that happens to get cracked into "cone" shapes but in theory, it's the most uniform drain to minimize channeling. That's IF all the holes stay viable. I like the non-round shape of manifold slotting.

So I have found all of the pieces that I need and it is going to be approx. the same price to do a SS braid or a false bottom. (I would be putting the braid in a circle not just a straight tube.

So really the question is which one will be easier/more efficient and result in fewer stuck sparges.

Latest posts

Back