New mash paddle - holes not sanded

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamWiz

Reaction score
I just got a nice big maple mash paddle for Christmas, it seems to be a really nice quality maple, no cracks or knots at all. And it is sanded smooth as glass, the only thing is that the holes in the blade are very rough inside - not sanded at all. Seems strange to sand the thing down so beautifully and then just drill some holes and leave them as-is. Should I sand them myself, or is it unneccessary?

Here's the paddle:
Beer Loons 35" Maple Mash Paddle : Maple Mash Paddles

I visited a local Micro for a tour and sampling, their 7' long mash paddle had about 1/3 of the blade split off and missing. The remaining portion of the paddle looked about like a dogs chew toy from use. Your fine, unless of course it's something you want to do?

i made one that turned out just like that.. nicely sanded on the outside, but when i used my hole saw to create the holes, they were fairly jagged and just didnt' fit the look.. haven' had any problem though.. i guess i could get my dremel out and go to town, though that would take way too long.. we can just say it adds "character" :)

Back