New manifold and sparge arm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevo2569

Reaction score
Hey guys, just finished my new setup for all grain. I was using a stainless mesh hose and pouring my sparge over a strainer. I think this will work much better. It's 3/4 cpvc. The manifold has slots 2/3 through and the sparge is adjustable to sit right on the grain bed and has 1/8 holes through it. I plan on putting a stopper in the lid hole during the mash and Ill still have to pour my sparge water till I get another kettle ballock. Any thoughts??

image-3965291381.jpg

image-832429645.jpg

image-3736171410.jpg

I am sure it will do the trick. I am getting tired of my stainless mesh too.

I went 1/2 inch but was seriously considering 3/4 ... how did you cut your holes?

Started slots with a hacksaw, then said F this and got the cordless jig out. Had to be careful but much easier. Then drilled 1/8 in holes for sparge arm. Can't wait to try it out. Maybe Saturday. :rockin

Starderup said:
There is really good advice in Palmer's book or his web page.
Mash Tun Manifolds

I read that before I made it. Although I'm getting conflicting info on which way the manifold slots should face. Down, Up, Away from the side walls. I don't know. What does everybody else do?

Not too different than the manifolds (both sparge and wort collection) that I use. The link to the write up is in my signature. For me the integral sparge manifold is excellent. I feed it directly from my HLT via a SS ball valve but fly sparging is totally painless and I lose virtually no heat because it is a closed system.

ChemE said:
Not too different than the manifolds (both sparge and wort collection) that I use. The link to the write up is in my signature. For me the integral sparge manifold is excellent. I feed it directly from my HLT via a SS ball valve but fly sparging is totally painless and I lose virtually no heat because it is a closed system.

Which way do your slots face?

Oh, I see:eek:
Just saw your thread, Damn every time I come up with something cool, someone else has already done it. Although most of my thoughts were based on others. I was educated as an engineer as well as you, I guess.
Questions??
1- Does the foam in the lid contribute(I've heard air is just as Good)
2-How do you know that the IN/Out flow rate is proportional with the lid closed.
3- Palmer says that the slots are to face up because of the channeling along the bottom. But others say you'll get stuck. Agree/Disagree?

My username is the most common abbreviation of chemical engineer and yeah I have a few degrees in the same.

1) I've never tried without but air is absolutely not just as good. Now you might convince me that the foam's contribution to heat retention is minimal but it was incredibly easy so why not do it.
2) I've learned over time where to set the ball valves to match the flow in and out and fly sparge across an hour. I crack the lid every 15 minutes or so to double check that the fluid is staying put. It is actually pretty easy.
3) I read the same but that needlessly creates dead space in the MLT which to me is a ridiculous waste. I elected to face them down and pushed flat against the bottom of my MLT so that fluid could weep into them and my MLT can drain completely.

All my AG batches except my barleywine have been over 85% efficient so I'm pretty darn happy with my lautering.

Back