New kettle for 1-2.5 gallon batches (BIAB)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highway61

Reaction score
Besides a few rare occasions where I helped my friends all-grain brew, I'm essentially a "beginner". I've recently decided to start home-brewing solo on my stove-top.

I purchased a basic one-gallon kit to get started, and plan to brew a few extract recipes to get into the swing of things (Here is the kit I purchased: https://bellsbeer.com/store/products/Brewer's-Best®-1-Gallon-Beer-Brewing-Equipment-Kit.html).

Eventually, I'd like to brew 2.5 gallon batches using the BIAB method when I'm ready to go all-grain.

Here is my concern - I purchased the following kettle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X1JO6W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I bought this kettle hoping that it would be able to handle:
A) 1 - 2.5 gallon extract batches
B) 1 - 2.5 gallon BIAB batches

Do you think that the purchased kettle will be able to handle both of these use-cases? Do you foresee a general limit to my batch size when eventually trying to go all-grain (BIAB) with this kettle?

Someday I'm sure I'll move on to bigger batches, but for now I want to keep things smaller-scale on my stove-top. I do realize that these questions might be hard to answer, since some of it is dependent on the styles of beer I plan to brew - and I know there are many ways to approach this. If 2/2.5 gallon batches would be pushing it for a BIAB approach, I supposed I could use a separate cooler and fix the bag inside that.

Thanks for any tips/advice in advance! I've read through similar threads but still didn't feel 100% assured that my kettle will do the job...

Last edited by a moderator:
A 10 gallon is good for 5 gallon batches of BIAB, doable with an 8 gallon kettle. So you should be fine with that kettle for 2.5 gallon.

I brew 2.5 gal BIAB batches on the stove top in winter when I don't feel like sitting in a cold garage around a kettle. I use a 5 gal kettle with no problems. I have to set aside a gallon or two for a pour-over sparge after the bag is lifted out, as the grain + full strike water won't fit. Works great for me and you should have no problems with BIAB in your kettle. Certainly no problem doing 2.5 gal extract batches.

HopSpider_zps2ef0f679.jpg

I also do 2.5-3 gal batches in my 5 gal kettle. I even occasionally do 5 gal all grain batches with a concentrated wort and top off the last 2 gal. Like Max I do need to sparge on all but the smallest of beers. I prefer the dunk/batch sparge method, but then again I also have a good sized tamale pot laying around that I use for it.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Makes me feel more comfortable about my purchase. Excited to try BIAB out.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Makes me feel more comfortable about my purchase. Excited to try BIAB out.

I do 2 gallon batches ferment in 2 gallon plastic buckets from HD and boil in a 5 gallon pot. I use to use a 4 gallon pot but boil overs where harder to control. I mash BIAB using a 5 gallon cooler.

I like 2 gallon batches as they yeald 3 six packs.

I do 2 gallon batches ferment in 2 gallon plastic buckets from HD and boil in a 5 gallon pot. I use to use a 4 gallon pot but boil overs where harder to control. I mash BIAB using a 5 gallon cooler.

I like 2 gallon batches as they yeald 3 six packs.

Back