Quantcast

New kettle for 1-2.5 gallon batches (BIAB)

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Highway61

Reaction score
Besides a few rare occasions where I helped my friends all-grain brew, I'm essentially a "beginner". I've recently decided to start home-brewing solo on my stove-top.

I purchased a basic one-gallon kit to get started, and plan to brew a few extract recipes to get into the swing of things (Here is the kit I purchased: https://bellsbeer.com/store/products/Brewer's-Best®-1-Gallon-Beer-Brewing-Equipment-Kit.html).

Eventually, I'd like to brew 2.5 gallon batches using the BIAB method when I'm ready to go all-grain.

Here is my concern - I purchased the following kettle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X1JO6W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I bought this kettle hoping that it would be able to handle:
A) 1 - 2.5 gallon extract batches
B) 1 - 2.5 gallon BIAB batches

Do you think that the purchased kettle will be able to handle both of these use-cases? Do you foresee a general limit to my batch size when eventually trying to go all-grain (BIAB) with this kettle?

Someday I'm sure I'll move on to bigger batches, but for now I want to keep things smaller-scale on my stove-top. I do realize that these questions might be hard to answer, since some of it is dependent on the styles of beer I plan to brew - and I know there are many ways to approach this. If 2/2.5 gallon batches would be pushing it for a BIAB approach, I supposed I could use a separate cooler and fix the bag inside that.

Thanks for any tips/advice in advance! I've read through similar threads but still didn't feel 100% assured that my kettle will do the job...

Last edited by a moderator:

PADave

Reaction score
A 10 gallon is good for 5 gallon batches of BIAB, doable with an 8 gallon kettle. So you should be fine with that kettle for 2.5 gallon.

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I brew 2.5 gal BIAB batches on the stove top in winter when I don't feel like sitting in a cold garage around a kettle. I use a 5 gal kettle with no problems. I have to set aside a gallon or two for a pour-over sparge after the bag is lifted out, as the grain + full strike water won't fit. Works great for me and you should have no problems with BIAB in your kettle. Certainly no problem doing 2.5 gal extract batches.

chickypad

lupulin shift victim
Reaction score
I also do 2.5-3 gal batches in my 5 gal kettle. I even occasionally do 5 gal all grain batches with a concentrated wort and top off the last 2 gal. Like Max I do need to sparge on all but the smallest of beers. I prefer the dunk/batch sparge method, but then again I also have a good sized tamale pot laying around that I use for it.

OP
H

Highway61

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Makes me feel more comfortable about my purchase. Excited to try BIAB out.

C-Rider

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Makes me feel more comfortable about my purchase. Excited to try BIAB out.
I do 2 gallon batches ferment in 2 gallon plastic buckets from HD and boil in a 5 gallon pot. I use to use a 4 gallon pot but boil overs where harder to control. I mash BIAB using a 5 gallon cooler.

I like 2 gallon batches as they yeald 3 six packs.

C-Rider

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I do 2 gallon batches ferment in 2 gallon plastic buckets from HD and boil in a 5 gallon pot. I use to use a 4 gallon pot but boil overs where harder to control. I mash BIAB using a 5 gallon cooler.

I like 2 gallon batches as they yeald 3 six packs.