New Kentucky commercial hop farm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to get a feel for what your bottom price will be, check out Lupulin Exchange. Its basically a open market where you can buy or sell hops in whatever quantities you want (or can find). You can sort based on variety and price. Assuming you don't find any local buyers, this is the place to go.

Before you ask, yes there should be a premium for your hops because they are local but only if they are at least the same quality as the hops they can get from a large merchant and in a form that is useful (i.e. pellets for most).

Thanks for this! I have been looking around for this as I am contemplating starting a hops growing operation in Central Ohio to diversify my current farming operations and was having a little difficulty determining actual market values.

Thanks for this! I have been looking around for this as I am contemplating starting a hops growing operation in Central Ohio to diversify my current farming operations and was having a little difficulty determining actual market values.

The Lupulin Exchange is a good reference point but the 'locally grown' hop market can be quite a different story when it comes to pricing. I'm up in NE Ohio and from the folks I know who grow across the state, there's plenty of variability from region to region when it comes to what will or won't perform well here. For pricing info, join up with OHGG: http://ohgg.org/. There are small breweries who may take 5 pounds wet hops (undried) or there are some that may sign a contract with you and buy your whole crop in pellet form. Knowing where you plan of fitting into this equation will help you determine some of your equipment costs. Give them a call!

What are you gonna treat your poles with, what angle are you gonna tilt ypur poles and how far from the pole do you place your anchor?

What are you gonna treat your poles with, what angle are you gonna tilt ypur poles and how far from the pole do you place your anchor?

Gonna cover them in driveway sealant or some other form of asphalt of some sort. I'm not going to tilt the poles they will all be vertical. I haven't done the math on how far out the anchors will be, but I think I'll settle on 10 feet out.

Any updated pics of the yard? We love to see new yards take shape! Also, how has your take rate been with rhizome stock? We've heard very mixed results with rhizome planting in commercial yards.

Any updated pics of the yard? We love to see new yards take shape! Also, how has your take rate been with rhizome stock? We've heard very mixed results with rhizome planting in commercial yards.

Not much to see yet. When I get the poles in the ground I'll do some picture updates. I haven't seen many good deals with rhizomes just yet. I have seen where some people put two rhizomes in each hill, that seems pricey to me. We'll see if I need to buy extra rhizomes to cover some that don't come up.

Fehr brothers out of new york has really good prices on hardware, cable and coir.

Not much to see yet. When I get the poles in the ground I'll do some picture updates. I haven't seen many good deals with rhizomes just yet. I have seen where some people put two rhizomes in each hill, that seems pricey to me. We'll see if I need to buy extra rhizomes to cover some that don't come up.

Large yards rarely use rhizomes for a few reasons. As you mentioned they recommend planting 2, 3, sometimes 4 per hill to help guarantee the best possible take rate for a consistent looking yard. The cost does add up. This is why companies like ours offer plant material. One live plant per hill that prices out the same as 2-3 rhizomes per hill. 99% take rate for a perfectly uniform field.

Where the rhizomes are sourced from is also huge. A local hop yard would be best so you know the age and quality of the plants they are sourced from. Varieties like Cascade have roughly an 8 or so year life in a commercial field before yields decrease due to age and virus load naturally acquired by the plants. If your unfortunate enough to be obtaining your rhizomes unknowingly from an old field out west that's being plowed under you're starting with heavy disease loaded poor producing material. Rhizomes are not new and fresh simply because you are growing them for the first time, they are a piece of the plant directly out of the older field and carry with them disease and virus.

The healthiest planting material you can obtain will be propagated from Virus indexed stock with VF numbers obtained from the national clean plant network. The material is not much more expensive than rhizomes and offers far superior growing, yield, vigor, uniformity, etc.

This would be the best option always.
2nd best is locally obtained rhizomes from a relatively new yard. <--- Provided this yard was just planted with clean plant material.

:rockin: :mug:

Large yards rarely use rhizomes for a few reasons. As you mentioned they recommend planting 2, 3, sometimes 4 per hill to help guarantee the best possible take rate for a consistent looking yard. The cost does add up. This is why companies like ours offer plant material. One live plant per hill that prices out the same as 2-3 rhizomes per hill. 99% take rate for a perfectly uniform field.

Where the rhizomes are sourced from is also huge. A local hop yard would be best so you know the age and quality of the plants they are sourced from. Varieties like Cascade have roughly an 8 or so year life in a commercial field before yields decrease due to age and virus load naturally acquired by the plants. If your unfortunate enough to be obtaining your rhizomes unknowingly from an old field out west that's being plowed under you're starting with heavy disease loaded poor producing material. Rhizomes are not new and fresh simply because you are growing them for the first time, they are a piece of the plant directly out of the older field and carry with them disease and virus.

The healthiest planting material you can obtain will be propagated from Virus indexed stock with VF numbers obtained from the national clean plant network. The material is not much more expensive than rhizomes and offers far superior growing, yield, vigor, uniformity, etc.

2nd best is locally obtained rhizomes from a relatively new yard. <--- Provided this yard was just planted with clean plant material.

This is something I have been mulling for some time and your explanation comes at a decision making time. Thanks for the info! It only makes sense to invest in what will literally be the money maker.

Yea, I've heard the same from local experts.

Next year I will have enough need to be able to get plants. This year I could not justify the cost. I only had 1 line able to be planted, next year I will have 3 ready. There were other factor as well including time. I know this year had I got plants I would not have been able to get them in the ground as soon as they would have needed to be.

Greatlakeshops I Just ordered hops from you this spring. Didn't know you were on homebrew talk. I am glad to see I ordered from a supporter of the sight.

Greatlakeshops I Just ordered hops from you this spring. Didn't know you were on homebrew talk. I am glad to see I ordered from a supporter of the sight.

Not to divert the thread but,

+1 I did see them on here and between supporting a HBT supporter and the fact that you are getting plant stock instead of rhizomes, made my decision to order from them pretty easy.

My Willow Creek has been in the ground for 6 weeks now and it's almost 5 feet tall. If I would have started with rhizomes I would be lucky to have more than just a shoot or 2 barely poking out of the ground by now.

If your looking for some additional funding assistance. You might check with your county extension office or with the KY Ag Development Fund program through the Gov's Office of Ag Policy. There are some grants and cost share options available within the state to help farmers diversify their operations, stemming from the state tobacco settlement. The extension service will be able to help also with production issues (soil testing, disease and pest ID). I know the agent in that county. Andy's a good guy and very helpful.

Henderson Co Extension Office: https://henderson.ca.uky.edu/

If you want to turn it into a more formal business, Ky Center for Ag and Rural Development (http://www.kcard.info/). Can help with creating business plans, cost analysis, marketing plan development. I believe most of their services are either free or at cost.

Who's that?

Folks I know who are growing & processing hops a little way west of Ottawa. They've been at it for 5 or so years and thought you may have been referring to them as 'experts'.

If your looking for some additional funding assistance. You might check with your county extension office or with the KY Ag Development Fund program through the Gov's Office of Ag Policy. There are some grants and cost share options available within the state to help farmers diversify their operations, stemming from the state tobacco settlement. The extension service will be able to help also with production issues (soil testing, disease and pest ID). I know the agent in that county. Andy's a good guy and very helpful.

If you want to turn it into a more formal business, Ky Center for Ag and Rural Development (http://www.kcard.info/). Can help with creating business plans, cost analysis, marketing plan development. I believe most of their services are either free or at cost.

Thanks for the kcard link, I'll check that out. Iv asked at the extension office and talked to Andy there and didn't get much from him other than a couple documents that I had already found with a google search.

Dlaramie08, i got into the same mess. I thought i was far enough along to plant a 1/4 acre so i ordered plants. The rain this spring put me behind and i have been running every since. I got them in the ground but it seemed like it was gonna kill me doing it. No to mention the trellis is still under construction.

Dlaramie08, i got into the same mess. I thought i was far enough along to plant a 1/4 acre so i ordered plants. The rain this spring put me behind and i have been running every since. I got them in the ground but it seemed like it was gonna kill me doing it. No to mention the trellis is still under construction.

My tractor was unexpectedly put into the shop so I couldn't till. So I got a late spring start on one line and hopefully I'll be able to put in three more lines for next spring.

What are you using to combat mildews? Have you tried the natural stuff, neem oil, mineral oil, copper? I got ridomil gold but dont want to use it if the organic stuff works.

What are you using to combat mildews? Have you tried the natural stuff, neem oil, mineral oil, copper? I got ridomil gold but dont want to use it if the organic stuff works.

Haven't made it that far yet. I haven't had any mildew issues on my personal hops near where the new line is in 5 years so I haven't thought about it.

Have you received funding help from the ag department/government. I have been turning over stones and beating the bush for 18 months looking for subsidies and help.

Have you received funding help from the ag department/government. I have been turning over stones and beating the bush for 18 months looking for subsidies and help.

I've gotten cost-share money from the Tobacco settlement funds, but each county handles the cost-share differently. Cost shares seem to be the easiest to get approved. If you contact your county extension office they would be able to tell you who manages it. In Franklin Co, it's our cattleman's assoc.

Our Farmer's Market got funds from KADF to construct a market pavilion.

If you are in Kentucky and looking for additional funding for a farming options. I would check with your Co. Ext office, Governor's office of Ag Policy, KDA, local Farm farm Bureau office, or look at KADF.

[QUOTE=dlaramie08;7551020]I am in Robards, just south of Henderson. I have personally grown chinook, cascade, mt hood, galena, nugget, northern Brewer, and Columbus with success. I have failed with saaz and centennial. My hallertau rhizome came up this year from last year's small growth so we'll see about this year.[/QUOTE]

I was contemplating growing some centennial, then remembered that you said you didnt have any success. Do you have any theories on what went wrong? Perhaps it was one of those years when this family of plant just wouldnt make it.

Yeah I'm not sure what was going on. I tried multiple rhizomes from multiple sources. Could have just been my soil, but I have heard that it does really well in other farms in the commonwealth.

Back