New kegger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramptonbrewer

Reaction score
Can't seem to get my carbonation level right on my hard cider. I have a couple of brews almost ready to go into kegs and I need to get this sorted out before I put the beer into kegs.

my liquid line is about four feet long and I have read here that some people use lines as long as ten feet to prevent this is that correct?

my liquid line is about four feet long and I have read here that some people use lines as long as ten feet to prevent this is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. You need to have a pressure drop between the keg and tap so that the beer, cider, whatever, doesn't come out of the tap at too high a pressure. Too high a pressure at the tap will cause foamy pours, and loss of carbonation in the poured liquid. The pressure drop comes from friction in the liquid lines. A good rule of thumb (at least near sea level) is 1 foot of 3/16 beverage line for each psi of serving pressure. The best calculator for line length, and also a good tutorial about what is going on, can be found here: http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back