New kegger - testing for pressure loss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewenstein

Reaction score
So I finally got my CO2 tank and had it filled. I purchased the regulator and set up for two kegs from Kegconnection, so the whole assembly was already together. I connected this to the tank, made sure all the clamps and nuts were tight and turned it all on to 30 psi. First I left the shut-offs closed from the manifold to the taps overnight, and the pressure did not change. Then I "opened" the taps (Sanke type) so that no C02 would escape, and opened the shut-offs. Oddly, the pressure went up 2 psi to 32. Left it this way all day. Just checked now (9 hours later), and the pressure went down to just under 30 psi. I should add that after the initial pressurization to 30 psi last night, I turned the valve to the CO2 tank off to isolate just the gas lines to see if they would hold pressure.

So my question is this. The 2 pt. drop in psi today - is that something to worry about? Could it be because the tap was not connected to anything, just in the "untapped" position? I have a keg naturally carbonated, chilled and ready to go, but am paranoid about losing a full tank to a leak.

Use a spray bottle of star-san and spray all connection points where a leak could occur. If you see no bubbles then I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't understand the part where you say " I opened the taps (sanke type) so that no CO2 would escape, and opened the shutoffs". Maybe that's because I'm not familiar with Sanke kegs. You seem to have had a pressure increase then decrease so maybe it equalized itself.

I don't understand the part where you say " I opened the taps (sanke type) so that no CO2 would escape, and opened the shutoffs". Maybe that's because I'm not familiar with Sanke kegs. You seem to have had a pressure increase then decrease so maybe it equalized itself.

Yeah, that was confusing. Sanke kegs use a coupler (tap) that connects to the keg. I placed it in the "untapped" position - which means no CO2 into the keg, no beer out of the keg. And then opened the valves from the manifold to the gas lines that run to the keg. That's when the pressure jumped 2 psi, but later was back down.

I ended up hooking up the keg and will keep an eye it. No CO2 smell in the fridge this morning, so I think all is good.

:off: Racked a 2 Hearted clone into my second keg and put it on gas. When I checked it this morning, beer was leaking out of the picnic tap :mad:. So I turn off the gas to this keg, vented it, and now will have to look into that this afternoon after work :(.

Ahh, I get it now. That sucks about your tap. How much beer did you lose?? Just grab another one, they're cheap enough.

On the advice I saw in another thread, I unscrewed the top and sanded down the piece with the threads. That lets you screw the piece on tighter so it will seal. Worked like a charm. Only lost about 6-8 ounces I would guess.

Back