New Keezer w/ Bar Build, Hardwood, 4 tap, with wine and liquor storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjpeisher

Reaction score
I am building a new bar around a chest freezer holding four taps. Here are the preliminaries. I will update as it gets closer to complete.

Wine storage and glass hanging will be on the left side.

Liquor storage will be on the right.

Area for 2 tanks (1 C02, 1 Nitro) with one on each side in a cabinet with a door.

image3_zpsrufq6ek4.jpg

image1_zpszzppw8nc.jpg

image2_zpsw0ikq340.jpg

Looks good so far. Keep it going mj. I'm going finally start mine pretty soon.

This looks great. I wish I had the room for a large keezer like this one, I like the storage incorporated into the sides. Looks like you know what you're doing with the woodworking also, looking forward to seeing it complete.

What is the total width of this? I was looking to design something similar and want to see if I have room.

Looks like you know what you're doing with the woodworking also, looking forward to seeing it complete.

Thanks for the compliment, I will pass it along to the maker. I found a guy on craigslist who makes custom bars out of reclaimed hardwood, and talked to him. He said he had never made a keezer, but thought it would be fun. Once mine is finished, I am going to post a lot of pics, along with his contact info as an advertisement. Hope he gets a few more projects out of it.

As for the width, this one is 74 inches long, because it is sliding between two specific pieces of furniture that house my Dicken's Village collection.

Here is the current status.

Dark Rosewood Stain
image2_zpsqp3wfswq.jpg

Interior Power Putlets - for the circulation fan and the lighting. Or whatever doo-dad I need powered inside the unit.
image1_zpszzszckqj.jpg

That's a handsome piece. Excited for you. I'm going to need to cut mine down by 5 inches but thank you for the inspiration.

Sorry for resurrecting the thread, but I like the design and would like to know when you swap in the kegs how easily done is it with the coffin on top? If this is flush against a wall do you simply pull it away from the wall and lift the lid? Also, did you use the stock hinges from the freezer and are the sturdy enough to handle the weight of the new wooden lid?

Sorry for resurrecting the thread, but I like the design and would like to know when you swap in the kegs how easily done is it with the coffin on top?

It is fairly easy, but it would be easier not on carpet. We ended up cutting 2 strips of the carpet away from the wheel path, so it would roll much easier. But you roll it out, (clear off the top) lift the lid, prop, and swap kegs like normal. The coffin top is heavy, but not ridiculously so. Once it is started lifting, it acts like it's own counter weight anyway. We thought about adding some pneumatic assists on it, but determined it wasn't necessary.

If this is flush against a wall do you simply pull it away from the wall and lift the lid?

Yes

Also, did you use the stock hinges from the freezer and are the sturdy enough to handle the weight of the new wooden lid?

No, we have after market hinges. The chest freezer lid is not physically attached to the chest freezer anymore, the hinges are done so that it lines up correctly. The lid is also reinforced with a piece of wood for structural integrity given the amount of weight it is holding.

If you want I can take some more pictures next time I change kegs and you can get a look on the inside.

Back