New Keezer Best Practices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBabiesBeer

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I recently setup a 7.1 cu ft Insignia keezer with a collar, manifold and co2 inside. My brewing partner and I plan on a third keg, but are only rotating 2 kegs currently. I have a number of questions regarding use and upkeep, and would like as much advice as I can get. We aimed to save a bit of money by only using a single regulator on the co2 tank vs having multiple regulators on the manifold.

Currently my issue is losing CO2. The first two beers were fine when kegged (in both used corny kegs, independently), but as soon as I tried to attach both kegs to the gas manifold is when my problems started. I fixed leaks by using washers for disconnects from the co2 tank to the manifold (or gray gas connector for individual keg/force carbonation). The leak wasn't there before.

We also use the keezer to cold crash carboys prior to kegging. There was one cold crash in particular where I messed with the temp control we have the keezer running power through, and it appears to be causing the bottom of the keezer to be at 32 degrees or slightly lower. When I initially changed the settings back on the temp controller, I thought it was back to our original settings where we had no issues.

My first question is this: is the temp potentially too low for the gas hosing to maintain pressure even if all the clamps/disconnects are tight? Worth noting when I tested all the hoses, connections, valves, and corny attachments by spraying with starsan, I didn't detect any leaks.

Feel free to also give feedback/criticism on my setup, I need advice and very open to making adjustments. Attached pic is keg directly attached to co2, manifold not in use.
20190517_174437.jpeg

I’m far from an expert on kegging so take anything I say with a grain of salt. I’ve never had any leak problems that were temperature related, the hoses and clamps should be fine even at freezing temp. I’ve had problems with the keg itself, a poppet sticking and losing co2 that way and also from a bad lid seal I wonder if the first time there was a good seal on the kegs and not the second? Otherwise I’d just keep checking for leaks somewhere in the system, if you aren’t leaking by bypassing the manifold that may be a culprit.
Unrelated to leaks, something that I’ve found helpful is a dual stage regulator for carbing at different volumes for beer vs water or soda. But with only two kegs it might not be worth it. Sorry for the rambling, it’s my Friday.

I’m far from an expert on kegging so take anything I say with a grain of salt. I’ve never had any leak problems that were temperature related, the hoses and clamps should be fine even at freezing temp. I’ve had problems with the keg itself, a poppet sticking and losing co2 that way and also from a bad lid seal I wonder if the first time there was a good seal on the kegs and not the second? Otherwise I’d just keep checking for leaks somewhere in the system, if you aren’t leaking by bypassing the manifold that may be a culprit.
Unrelated to leaks, something that I’ve found helpful is a dual stage regulator for carbing at different volumes for beer vs water or soda. But with only two kegs it might not be worth it. Sorry for the rambling, it’s my Friday.
Ramble on!

Thanks

Follow up question would be part of my disconnect hose to the manifold is not a standard gas hose, but a clear vinyl hose from home depot.... again saw no leaks when tested.

So I refilled my co2 tank today and had them check the tank for leaks, all clear. On my regulator, the gasket appears to have worn down a bit (taprite) even though I've only had it a couple months. I'll probably replace that brass piece and use a more standard washer if I can't pull the gasket out. Hopefully the nut isn't the issue...

big-blu-rt100s-low-temp-leak-reactant-1-quart-21_b3fff2b1-f4dd-409d-b14a-ebdc8e7e94da_large.jpg

Big Blu RT100S High Temp. Leak Reactant 1 Quart

• Ultra sensitive — capable of magnifying micro-gas leakage as small as 0.65 oz./year into visible foam "cocoons"
  • Finds leaks in seconds, non-toxic, oxygen safe
  • Pinpoints and preserves microscopic leaks up to two hours

View attachment 631958
Big Blu RT100S High Temp. Leak Reactant 1 Quart

• Ultra sensitive — capable of magnifying micro-gas leakage as small as 0.65 oz./year into visible foam "cocoons"
  • Finds leaks in seconds, non-toxic, oxygen safe
  • Pinpoints and preserves microscopic leaks up to two hours
Should be arriving today. I think I figured out the leak. One of my used corny kegs leaks, so I'll be returning it to the shop I got it from. In about 7 days I'll be able to keg my IPA and give the manifold another try. Will be really great to be able to spray this blue stuff for verification.

Your liquid lines look awful short to me, but I'm pretty new to kegging myself.
I've got flow control Perlicks that help with that. I currently have a saison on tap there that is pouring pretty close to perfect with the flow control dialed most of the way back. I think it's something I may change in the future, but haven't seen enough cause to yet.

Sounds like you’ve got it on the run already, but I’d add that the starsan trick will help you catch 90% of your leaks. Save the big blu for your mystery leaks like this. It’s great stuff no doubt, but is a PITA to clean up afterwards. Think dawn dish soap with added glycerin.

Sounds like you’ve got it on the run already, but I’d add that the starsan trick will help you catch 90% of your leaks. Save the big blu for your mystery leaks like this. It’s great stuff no doubt, but is a PITA to clean up afterwards. Think dawn dish soap with added glycerin.
Wow. Thanks for the heads up. We just replaced the lid on the keg today with a brand new one and will be kegging the IPA within a week.

My LHBS owner tested the keg lid with his co2 from his kegerator, and I was happy to see only one regulator in his setup. I feel a bit vindicated.

Unless you want different carb levels for individual kegs, there’s no reason to have more than one (you should continue to feel vindicated.....). I personally carb everything to about 2.7vol, regardless if it’s a porter, IPA or a summer wheat. Would drive some crazy, but I prefer simple.

I'm pretty sure I won't need that for a while. I have had a stout on in the past and the saison currently... as long as I don't plan to have them on simultaneously I'll be good.

Back