New here from Etown, PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spames

Reaction score
I just started brewing after a 3 year hiatus. New house, children, working on the new house and everything that goes along with it put brewing way far back on the burner.

When I stopped, I was brewing AG in a converted igloo cooler all in my basement, it was getting pretty good, but what a pain in a completely inadequate area.

I'm getting things back in motion, and still have my 15.5 gal keggle with false bottom, and have decided to go back to extract brewing to keep the time involved down since I have lots of other things to do. I have a big enough garage now to eventually dedicate a nice section to a brewing kitchen! - It's so nice doing things in the garage where a mess isn't a big deal if it happens.

My process goes like this:

Add a few gallons to brew pot, steep grains; while doing that, I add the extract to some water in my previous hot liquor kettle, to dissolve and pre-heat the extract. Once the grains are done, I open up the spigot on my liquor tank, and combine the 2. I figured I would have to do it this way with a false bottom, or I would be asking for a huge scorching problem.

I only did 5 gal. on my first batch, but am planning on stepping up to 10 after one more run.

The only thing I might do next time is to whirlpool the grain water and open the spigot on the boiling kettle to maybe suck some of the husk or grit left over from steeping the grains out of my boiling pot. Seems like it might be a good idea, who knows :)

I also keg everything, and am planning to start washing yeast.

My main goal is to find a couple great recipies, and buy double batches for brewing every 2 months, and live off my own supply. I really missed brewing during my off years, and am very excited to be back in business :)

Anyway, that's a little about me. Also into my 68 chevy truck, hunting, computers, all kinds of hobbies now that I think about it.

This looks like a great site! I've been reading off and on for hours at a time!

This is a great sight. Glad you found it. I have learned a lot here.

Spames said:
I just started brewing after a 3 year hiatus. New house, children, working on the new house and everything that goes along with it put brewing way far back on the burner.

When I stopped, I was brewing AG in a converted igloo cooler all in my basement, it was getting pretty good, but what a pain in a completely inadequate area.

I'm getting things back in motion, and still have my 15.5 gal keggle with false bottom, and have decided to go back to extract brewing to keep the time involved down since I have lots of other things to do. I have a big enough garage now to eventually dedicate a nice section to a brewing kitchen! - It's so nice doing things in the garage where a mess isn't a big deal if it happens.

My process goes like this:

Add a few gallons to brew pot, steep grains; while doing that, I add the extract to some water in my previous hot liquor kettle, to dissolve and pre-heat the extract. Once the grains are done, I open up the spigot on my liquor tank, and combine the 2. I figured I would have to do it this way with a false bottom, or I would be asking for a huge scorching problem.

I only did 5 gal. on my first batch, but am planning on stepping up to 10 after one more run.

The only thing I might do next time is to whirlpool the grain water and open the spigot on the boiling kettle to maybe suck some of the husk or grit left over from steeping the grains out of my boiling pot. Seems like it might be a good idea, who knows :)

I also keg everything, and am planning to start washing yeast.

My main goal is to find a couple great recipies, and buy double batches for brewing every 2 months, and live off my own supply. I really missed brewing during my off years, and am very excited to be back in business :)

Anyway, that's a little about me. Also into my 68 chevy truck, hunting, computers, all kinds of hobbies now that I think about it.

This looks like a great site! I've been reading off and on for hours at a time!
Welcome aboard. Lots of us Central Pa brewers here. What type of extract are you using? You might want to consider a 50 lb bag of DME Ex light. Allows you to make any color beer and is very handy just measuring what need need to brew. You'll just need to keep it stored in an air tight container. Have you ever been to a Lancaster County brewers meeting yet? They meet the last wed of the month at Lancaster Brewing Company.

Warrior said:
Welcome aboard. Lots of us Central Pa brewers here. What type of extract are you using? You might want to consider a 50 lb bag of DME Ex light. Allows you to make any color beer and is very handy just measuring what need need to brew. You'll just need to keep it stored in an air tight container. Have you ever been to a Lancaster County brewers meeting yet? They meet the last wed of the month at Lancaster Brewing Company.

I'm using liquid extract from Midwest Supply -- First batch was Octane IPA. It was supposed to have 6 lbs amber liquid extract, but it also came with an additional 3.3 lbs of Amber that I threw in before realizing they sent too much!! Probably why it's been fermenting for 2 weeks.

I'll do some searches on the bulk ex-light DME, never heard of that technique before! -- If you have any links that explain this, I'd appreciate it!

Not sure on the meetings, sounds like a nice idea, but I'm lucky at this point that I'm brewing again :) We'll see, maybe someday!

Thanks all -

Oh yeah -- next batch is the midwest supply Double IPA, and after that, a 10 gallon batch of HopBack IPA (from BYO recipe) - I love that beer!! Hopefully I can make something that resembles it.

Spames said:
I'm using liquid extract from Midwest Supply -- First batch was Octane IPA. It was supposed to have 6 lbs amber liquid extract, but it also came with an additional 3.3 lbs of Amber that I threw in before realizing they sent too much!! Probably why it's been fermenting for 2 weeks.

I'll do some searches on the bulk ex-light DME, never heard of that technique before! -- If you have any links that explain this, I'd appreciate it!

Not sure on the meetings, sounds like a nice idea, but I'm lucky at this point that I'm brewing again :) We'll see, maybe someday!

Thanks all -
The bulk DME I'm refering to is just dry malt extract. I just bought a 50 lb bag of Breiss which is plenty to last me for a while as I usually do PM or AG. The Breiss DME gives you around 1.043 pts/lb/gal. If you wanted an O.G. of 1.060 you would divide .06/.043 = 1.395 lbs/gal. Making 5.5 for the pri would be 5.5 X 1.395 = 7.67 lbs in a 5.5 gal batch. I find it very conveinent and cheaper to buy the bulk bags. I'm sure a local HBS could order it for you. Scotzins in Leymone might actually have it in stock.

The Breiss is very fermentable extract, if you want more body and unfermentable sugars in the beer mix it with Laaglander DME. It is made at a high mash temp to leave more unfermentable sugars. I did an experiment years ago with using the different DME an all laaglander started at 1.052 and finished at 1.023, all M&F 1.052 to 1.013, 1/2 of each 1.052 to 1.017.

Warrior said:
The bulk DME I'm refering to is just dry malt extract. I just bought a 50 lb bag of Breiss which is plenty to last me for a while as I usually do PM or AG. The Breiss DME gives you around 1.043 pts/lb/gal. If you wanted an O.G. of 1.060 you would divide .06/.043 = 1.395 lbs/gal. Making 5.5 for the pri would be 5.5 X 1.395 = 7.67 lbs in a 5.5 gal batch. I find it very conveinent and cheaper to buy the bulk bags. I'm sure a local HBS could order it for you. Scotzins in Leymone might actually have it in stock.

The Breiss is very fermentable extract, if you want more body and unfermentable sugars in the beer mix it with Laaglander DME. It is made at a high mash temp to leave more unfermentable sugars. I did an experiment years ago with using the different DME an all laaglander started at 1.052 and finished at 1.023, all M&F 1.052 to 1.013, 1/2 of each 1.052 to 1.017.

Great info - I've used DME in the past, but what I wanted to know more about was "Ex light. Allows you to make any color beer and is very handy just measuring what need need to brew."

Let's say I'm doing a brown ale, and I'm supposed to use 6 lbs of Amber: How do you substitute Ex. Light DME for an amber or dark DME or LME?

Spames said:
Great info - I've used DME in the past, but what I wanted to know more about was "Ex light. Allows you to make any color beer and is very handy just measuring what need need to brew."

Let's say I'm doing a brown ale, and I'm supposed to use 6 lbs of Amber: How do you substitute Ex. Light DME for an amber or dark DME or LME?
By steeping speicalty grains in 150 deg water for 30 mins. Using brown and crystal malt would give your beer the color and flavors that are appropiate in a brown ale.

Back