New guy from Rochester MN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greggy

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,

I just joined yesterday because I just got a full beer kit and am ready to brew some beer! My kit came with a coopers draught, but I am going to buy a nicer kit because I don't want to wait 1 month to drink a coors light copy. haha. I look forward to learning quite a bit of info here.

Greg

Nice to see another person from Rochester on HBT! I just started brewing a few months ago and I'm hooked! Already brewed 30 gallons of beer and 5 gallons of Apfelwein.

welcome aboard, i USED to be a Rochester resident, just moved to Minneapolis at the end of August!

This is a super good forum for resources and questions.

Happy brewing! :mug:

drunkatuw said:
Nice to see another person from Rochester on HBT! I just started brewing a few months ago and I'm hooked! Already brewed 30 gallons of beer and 5 gallons of Apfelwein.

Awesome!! I plan on brewing as much as humanly possible. haha.

How was the Apfelwein? Do you buy your stuff locally?

Greg

well since i live in minneapolis now i buy directly from the Midwest Supplies warehouse.

the LBHS's in rochester are geared WAY more for wine than beer, and are alot more expensive as well.

Greggy said:
Awesome!! I plan on brewing as much as humanly possible. haha.

How was the Apfelwein? Do you buy your stuff locally?

Greg

The Apfelwein is pretty good, at first I hated it, but it's growing on me. It little drier than I expected and not as much residual apple flavor. I bought the yeast at VonKlopp brew show (HWY52N east frontage road) across from Menards north. But he was out of Montrachet yeast, but he suggestion EC1118 as a replacement. I bought some brown sugar at walmart and the apple juice at sam's club.

I've also bought a couple brewer's best kits from VonKlopp's, but haven't had a chance to taste them (in secondary now). I've also ordered kits from Austin Homebrew and when I'm up in the cities, I tend to stop in at Northern Brewer because they have a much better selection compared to the LHBS in Rochester.

Thanks Guys,

I am recovering from strep throat so it will be about a week before I tackle my first brew. I am planning on ordering from Midwest-Supplies for my first brew. Any suggestions on an easy brew kit from Midwest?

Greg

Greggy said:
Any suggestions on an easy brew kit from Midwest?

All of their extract kits are great and come with really good instructions.

pick a style you like and get a kit

mr_stimey said:
All of their extract kits are great and come with really good instructions.

pick a style you like and get a kit

I think I will go with the honey weizen. My roomate enjoys Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss and he will be helping me. I think he will get a kick out of it.

Greg

Greggy said:
I think I will go with the honey weizen. My roomate enjoys Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss and he will be helping me. I think he will get a kick out of it.

Greg

I did the AG Honey Weizen kit from Midwest, just put the gas to it. So far the hydrometer samples have tasted great, High hopes for this one.

SuperiorBrew said:
I did the AG Honey Weizen kit from Midwest, just put the gas to it. So far the hydrometer samples have tasted great, High hopes for this one.

Good deal! I plan on getting this kit, and also the Sierra Nevada pale ale clone... YUM

Greg

I have the honey weizen on tap now (but from northern brewer, I assume they're the same). It doesn't taste anything like Leinie's honeyweiss though. There is a much stronger honey taste. It's ok, but not my favorite so far. I made the phat tyre extract kit from northern brewer and that was my favorite so far, that keg didn't last long at all.

I made the Honey Weizen kit from Midwest as my first beer ever. It got infected...tasted like I soaked about a million bandaids in it. :(

My favorite kit from Midwest to date is either their Bass Ale Clone or New Castle Clone. Both are excellent.

shunoshi said:
I made the Honey Weizen kit from Midwest as my first beer ever. It got infected...tasted like I soaked about a million bandaids in it. :(

My favorite kit from Midwest to date is either their Bass Ale Clone or New Castle Clone. Both are excellent.

Why do you think it got infected?

Greg

Greggy said:
Why do you think it got infected?

Greg

I blame my use of bleach as a sanitizer. I'm guessing somewhere along the line I didn't rinse something off as well as I should have.

Thanks for the reply. I have the one step cleaner, so thankfully I won't have to try to hard on rinsing. Just an update, I went to the VonKlopp Brew shop today and got a carboy scrubber, handle, airlocks, large spatula, and some other goodies. This weekend I am planning on ordering Honey Weisen and the Fat Tire clone from MidwestSupplies. Also, early next week I am starting the apfelwein brew. :D

I am going to need more carboys....

Greg

Back