New Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would help to see a pic of your crushed grain. Are you getting a lot of whole grains after crushing? The secondary gap is adjustable. It sounds to me like you need to adjust the gap and make it smaller.

I'm going to do a smash ale to test the factory settings...will post a pic post milling...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Gap with a credit card and then double crush. Works for me. :)
i gap with one o those flimsy offer cards in the mail and do not double crush with efficiency typically near 80. those are thinner. i have mic'd them to check but cant remember how much thinner.

The 3-3 is the three roller 3" diameter mill. It better rock out of the box

Nice mill..Here is mine. I had to adjust the rollers from factory and it crushes perfect
10636204_753854911344969_8851623977056071945_n.jpg

I was just thinking what I could do to make it more permanent...you just reminded me I have an old cabinet in the garage that wasn't needed when I did my kitchen remodel...another project coming up!!

Condition your grain the night before and you can tighten it up a little more, I mill the grains as the strike water heats.
I have a MM2, so I'm a little jealous ;) What you brewing?

I have the MM3-2.0. I set the gap at 0.038in (make sure you set it on both sides). I get 80+% efficiency (82% yesterday) without conditioning my grain.

I have the MM3-2.0. I set the gap at 0.038in (make sure you set it on both sides). I get 80+% efficiency (82% yesterday) without conditioning my grain.

Same as above, consistently see low to mid 80's. One of the best purchases I've made. Congrats on the new mill!

I was just thinking what I could do to make it more permanent...you just reminded me I have an old cabinet in the garage that wasn't needed when I did my kitchen remodel...another project coming up!!

Even though my LHBS has a great mill I set up my own just in case. It is the 3 roller Monster Mill. I motorized it and a buddy built me a cabinet.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417314942.983463.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417314958.316681.jpg

For those using power drills, what kind/volt do you use (does it matter)? I can get either a 18V with 1 battery or a 12V with 2 batteries for about the same price ($60).

Of course could get a drill with less/more voltage for cheaper/more expensive.

Well my I went from low 60's to 78% using the factory settings and only passing the grain through one time. I'll be adjusting the gap as suggested by all...and attaching it to my cabinet. Any ideas on where to get a motor for this bad boy?

Well my I went from low 60's to 78% using the factory settings and only passing the grain through one time. I'll be adjusting the gap as suggested by all...and attaching it to my cabinet. Any ideas on where to get a motor for this bad boy?

Take a look at the Power Grinder from American Ale Works.

Back