New Grain Mill at MoreBeer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if they use bronze bushings or ball bearings? I can't tell from the pictures. If they are ball bearings the 2 roller is pretty much the same as the Cereal Killer and the 3 roller would be like a geared 3 roller Cereal Killer.

Edit to add: Both mills are adjustable. Is it possible to make a mill that is geared on all rollers and adjustable?

Last edited:
It looks like ball bearings based on the assembly diagram etched into the side. Hard to tell from the photo resolution though. I’ve been looking at mills. I may have just found the one I need. Geared rollers was one of my factors.

It looks like ball bearings based on the assembly diagram etched into the side. Hard to tell from the photo resolution though. I’ve been looking at mills. I may have just found the one I need. Geared rollers was one of my factors.
Would be interested in any intel you gather on this mill. I got the same email from MoreBeer. It came just a day or two after musing that I might be in the market for a replacement for my Barley Crusher. A geared three roller ball bearing behemoth certainly exceeds my needs but not my desires. Even though I could get a lot of hops and grains for that same $179 "ante up" price tag, it's still a pretty good price for what the ad suggests you'll get.

Brooo Brother

I looked at them too. Can't tell about them being geared, or how.

The gap width ranging from 0.025"to 0.1" seems like an odd choice.
The 0.1" seems much too wide to crush any grain I know. Except for maybe cracked corn on a first pass.
On the opposite side, minimum width of 0.025" is IME not narrow enough for very small kernel grain, such as oat malt, and definitely too wide for say, Triticale. I have the knurls practically touch for that on my MM-2.

Other observations:
No mention of roller diameter or shaft diameter and whether those are stainless too, especially for the drive shaft. If I had to guess it looks like 3/8" for either mill.
Stainless 304 is not known to be very hard, make one wonder about durability of the rollers IRT knurl wear.

Looks good. I'm sorry I didn't go by the old saying, "you get what you pay for." I went with the less expensive 2 roller Cereal Killer and it's junk as far as I'm concerned.

Looks good. I'm sorry I didn't go by the old saying, "you get what you pay for." I went with the less expensive 2 roller Cereal Killer and it's junk as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sorry, I had to hijack this thread. What issues did you have with the Cereal Killer? I've had one going on 8 years now and it crushes like a champ. My homebrew store has one for customers to use and it's had millions of pounds of grain through it with no issues.

I'm sorry, I had to hijack this thread. What issues did you have with the Cereal Killer? I've had one going on 8 years now and it crushes like a champ. My homebrew store has one for customers to use and it's had millions of pounds of grain through it with no issues.
Still having issues. For one, the chute doesn't want to stay attached since the two screws and nuts that hold it on aren't strong enough, apparently. (I'm a mechanic, so I know how to tighten bolts and nuts!) Also, if I carefully set the gap to say .035, by the time I'm done milling, it has spread out to .042. Again, the wingnuts and locknuts are TIGHT. It almost seems as if the aluminum is too soft or something to hold torque. Maybe 8 years ago they were made in the US and now they manufactured in China? I don't know, but I'm frustrated.

I don't want to appear dismissive here - there could be "one off" issues at play that aren't visible to me - but after my old BC mill knurling had dulled to the point it had become unreliable (after 8 years and over 3K pounds of malt) I picked up a CK mill almost two years ago now and am (still) quite pleased with it.

I set the gap to 0.032" and never change it - and it has never changed. To not break that spell, for wheat and oat malts I still use the old BC mill, now with the rollers reversed to use the opposite face knurling and driven with my trusty 20v DeWalt...

Cheers!

Searching for Cereal Killer grain mill online brings up several (2 rollers) going for $99. Looking at various images of the mill online shows 2 different colors and slight style differences. Base is black in most images (the ones on sale) while others show the typical light wood color. Clearly (unless mistakes and/or old stock) there are different versions of the 2 roller mill being sold.

I have the cereal killer with the black base, bought about 2 years ago. I agree that the hopper doesn't stay in place well. I only lift it by the base. If I try lifting by the hopper, it gets very loose.

Aside from that, it's fantastic.

Now that I look, It does appear that there are two versions of the Cereal Killer. I wonder if they switched manufacturing plants and the quality has dropped off. If the bolt and nuts are backing out it's most likely the aluminum threads are striped. I'd bet it came from the factory that way. Very easy to strip aluminum threads with a steel bolt. If you live anywhere near Las Vegas. I'd be happy to re-tap those threads and put in some larger bolts to fix the problem.

Looks like the 3 roller is geared. I'm unsure about the 2 roller version. If the 3 roller mill has 3 gears, I purchase today.

Apparently, the mills are so new the questions about the gearing and the shaft diameter are, when I looked, unanswered.

https://www.morebeer.com/search?search=mighty+mill
This looks to be the same mill as Keg King have in Australia. Maybe they sorted out their US distribution?

https://www.keg-king.com.au/maltmuncher-grain-mill-3-roller.html.html
If it is the same mill then the roller diameter is 1.5” according to Keg King.

Does anyone have reviews of this mill?

Latest posts

Back