New from Olympia, WA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWancha

Reaction score
Hello everyone...Just getting into brewing here and will be starting my first batch when I receive my Co2 tanks and 10 gallon pot. Have a couple questions and any help would be greatly appreciated. First off, any suggestions on a fairly simple blonde or maybe amber recipe ale good for a first time brewer.

I would prefer to go lager but I think my house stays at too warm of a temperature to do so. My house usually sits right around or a little above 70 and I don't have a warm enough place to ferment outside this time of year. Comments on this?

Lastly, Would you guys recommend buying ingredients from a LHBS or online? I've heard to be wary of online buying because you can never be sure what you're getting. On the other hand I've heard a lot of good things about a few sites such as midwest.

Thanks in Advance!

David

Hey welcome man.

If you jump on craigslist, there's a guy in oly who's selling carboys, kegs, cornys, co2 tanks for 20 a pop. I'd jump on some of that stuff.

On fermentation, you should be doing it inside regardless of the season. Maintaining a costant environment is crucial. Find the coolest spot in the house and ale a few temp readings at different times of day. This won't be the temperature of your fermenting beer but it's as close as you can get for now.

Thanks for the info!

I got pretty much everything i need already but the Co2 and pot...and those have been ordered. I cam across a craigslist deal for 5 kegs, 4 glass carboys, 3 fermenting buckets with spigots, a smaller pot, all the lines, a dual keg regulator and pretty much every accessory I need for 350. I did the math and figured it was about 600-650 worth of stuff. I saw that ad you're talking about today and I considered calling the guy up, but i think I'm set for now...haha

Thanks again.

David

Greeting from Bellingham! :)

As for your questions:
Buying from your LHBS is fine but they may not have all of what you need all of the time OR they may be overpriced or just plain not educated in brewing. Or they could be rad and have great prices and selection. It can be hit or miss.
There are plenty of great places to buy from on line. I personally like Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew. Look at their extract kits in the styles that you want to brew. They are great for new brewers. Don't fear on line - it can really be your friend.

As far as fermentation. You need as much temp control as possible. Fermenting outside can be risky due to the lack of control. I would suggest getting a few ales under your belt before you start lagering unless you have a way to keep the beer at the right temp.

Welcome to the site. Cheers!

Back