New Freezer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotCline

Reaction score
So I am looking at getting a small deep freeze to use for lagering and general fermenting. I am looking at this unit.

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances...Id=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UNoc3m_d1fc

I was curious if anyone here already has this unit and if it will hold two 6.5 gallon buckets. Unfortunately I can not find the actual inside dimensions anywhere. I have checked GE's website and instruction manual. Of course this specific unit is not available anywhere locally to measure. It is a free shipping item that I can use some gift certs on to get it for lots cheaper. Thought it would be great, just curious if it will hold one, or two fermenters.

Also, I will be getting a temp controller. Just curious what your recommendations are. Been looking that the Johnson A419. Is that a good one, or is there a better one with a similar price.

Last note, I may also convert this to a keezer for keg use when not fermenting anything too temp critical. Thanks.

Might help... From HD site

Internal Dimensions
What are the internal dimensions of this freezer?

Answers

Hi, this is Sheree from GE and I will be glad to assist you with our question on our practical and money saving GE freezer. The FCM7SUWW is internally:

L x W x H = 586mm (23.07”) X 391mm (15.39”) X 700mm (27.56”)

I hope this helps and thanks for buying our GE products!

looks like that should fit two buckets nicely. Anyone with thoughts on temp controls?

Sorry it's a little late. Check out these drawings I made for this freezer. It does indeed hold 2 buckets on the floor.

Going with the Johnson A419 control, personally, at least for this build.

I just looked at freezers yesterday and my conclusion (using two 5gal pails from the store) was that two 6.5gal pails would be marginal to no-go on the floor of a 7cf, and that I would have had to go to the 10cf for surety, and then would have space left over.

(FWIW due to space constraints I went with 5cf which is absolutely is only one on the floor, but suits my needs).

I just looked at freezers yesterday and my conclusion was that two 6.5gal pails was marginal to no-go on the floor of a 7cf, and that I would have had to go to the 10cf, which would have space left over.

(FWIW due to space constraints I went with 5cf which is absolutely is only one on the floor, but suits my needs).

I'm heading out to Home Depot to look for the GE 7.0 CF in a bit. I'll take a couple of Northern Brewer's 6.5 gallon poly buckets with me and let you know what I find.

What model(s) did you find it to be no-go in?

I looked at the 7cf GE at HD (they didn't have 5cf in stock), then 10, 7, and 5cf at Menards. The brand at Menards is presumably their house brand "Professional Series", but they and the GEs look strikingly similar with just small differences on the trim and such. Didn't check the guts, per se, though.

Here is a picture of my 5cf with one bucket. Based on dimension the 7cf is 7-8 inches longer and by placing a second bucket in mine, 7-8 inches of additional length matches up with my conclusion of marginal to no-go. That bottom ledge for the compressor housing is 9.5" long.

It is possible though, that some other slight difference in the GE 7cf that I didn't notice could make enough difference to fit, but still, IMO, will be tight.

Also, I have a very critical opinion about "fits". To me "fits" means easy drop in and lift out; no tilting, squeezing/squashing, no jockeying buckets so the edges/lids pass by etc.

IMG_1722.jpg

I looked at the 7cf GE at HD (they didn't have 5cf in stock), then 10, 7, and 5cf at Menards. The brand at Menards is presumably their house brand "Professional Series", but they and the GEs look strikingly similar with just small differences on the trim and such. Didn't check the guts, per se, though.

Here is a picture of my 5cf with one bucket. Based on dimension the 7cf is 7-8 inches longer and by placing a second bucket in mine, 7-8 inches of additional length matches up with my conclusion of marginal to no-go. That bottom ledge for the compressor housing is 9.5" long.

It is possible though, that some other slight difference in the GE 7cf that I didn't notice could make enough difference to fit, but still, IMO, will be tight.

Also, I have a very critical opinion about "fits". To me "fits" means easy drop in and lift out; no tilting, squeezing/squashing, no jockeying buckets so the edges/lids pass by etc.

Just bought the GE 7.0 CF today. We must have totally different buckets if yours didn't fit, because it was a very easy, loose fit for mine.

Were you calculating for side-by-side, with no diagonal?

I have been considering the same, but was planning to adjust the thermostat instead of spending on the external controller. I learned about this on HBT.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gu...mostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/

Considered this, but I wanted to keep the warranty intact, hence the chest freezer. With an external controller, you can easily return it for warranty repairs or refund.

If I didn't mind the warranty being voided, I would have just bought cheaper upright mini freezers and drilled through the top of them for towers a la Kegerator.

Also, controllers are easily interchangeable and swappable should you up-size or down-size in the future. Thermostats are likely not so easily swapped.

Were you calculating for side-by-side, with no diagonal?

I actually put a couple of buckets in the 7cf at Menards.

It was close on the Menard's units, like lacking just an inch or two, maybe. How wide is the ledge on the GE?

Make sure you are using the standard 6.5 gallon fermentation buckets, and not the wider 7.8 gallon buckets. They are actually both within a half gallon of each other when full to the rim, but they are very different in diameter. The 7.8's are much shorter and wider, and the regular 6.5 buckets (brew rite, etc.) are taller and skinnier. I use the 6.5 buckets as they are the same diameter as normal 5 gallon buckets. I have two separate ~7 cu. ft. freezers, and they both will take two of the regular sized fermenters. Neither will take two of the wider type, or even one wide and one 6.5 bucket.

To check the size, just grab two buckets from the store's paint section, and try them out.

It was close on the Menard's units, like lacking just an inch or two, maybe. How wide is the ledge on the GE?

The ledge where the compressor goes must be a little more narrow in the GE ones.

It was very close on the Menard's units, like lacking just an inch or two, maybe. So, if that ledge is an inch or two less that would make all the difference. Ledge on the Menard's units is 9.5" wide.

Just bolted the collar on mine and I've been in the cold outside all day, so I'm not super anxious to go get a measurement right now.

When I measured it in the store last week, the hump was 7½" wide by 9¼" tall.

Even though this is about the GE ill just throw it out there if you have a Costco membership or know someone who does and are near one they sell a 7.1 CuFt Haier for 175 year round. And as everyone knows Costco is crazy good at returns.

When I measured it in the store last week, the hump was 7½" wide by 9¼" tall.

The hump on mine and the 7cf at Menard's is 9.5" wide. Those two inches are the go/no-go factor.

Top is the Menard's 7cf, bottom is the GE 7cf.

7cf.jpg

Picked up the GE today at Sams Club. $206 out the door after tax. I haven't had a chance to open it up yet. Threw my back out earlier this week, so I will pay off some friends to move it into the basement. I am going to pick up a keg system hopefully tomorrow. What recommendations are there. For appearance reasons, I will just be using a picnic style faucet and leaving it inside the freezer for now. SHMBO's mother is coming for the next three months and is not an alcohol fan. So I figure that will make it less obvious, plus this model has a locking door!!!
So I am thinking of one corny so that I can lager and have a keg going at the same time. New to kegging, what are the recommendations on where to get the set up from for cheap. Down the road I may put a perlick tower on it, but for now it must be inconspicuous. I have a 2.5 week Caribou Slobber in the PF that I would rather just keg this week then bottle. I will probably get a gun later so I can bottle from the keg if I want to take some on the road. Let the suggestions commence!:rockin:

Picked up the GE today at Sams Club. $206 out the door after tax. I haven't had a chance to open it up yet. Threw my back out earlier this week, so I will pay off some friends to move it into the basement. I am going to pick up a keg system hopefully tomorrow. What recommendations are there. For appearance reasons, I will just be using a picnic style faucet and leaving it inside the freezer for now. SHMBO's mother is coming for the next three months and is not an alcohol fan. So I figure that will make it less obvious, plus this model has a locking door!!!
So I am thinking of one corny so that I can lager and have a keg going at the same time. New to kegging, what are the recommendations on where to get the set up from for cheap. Down the road I may put a perlick tower on it, but for now it must be inconspicuous. I have a 2.5 week Caribou Slobber in the PF that I would rather just keg this week then bottle. I will probably get a gun later so I can bottle from the keg if I want to take some on the road. Let the suggestions commence!:rockin:

Note that the Sam's Club GE is a different model than the GE we've been discussing here. The hump is larger to compete at a lower cost price-point, which means you can fit 3 on the floor and 2 on the hump, as opposed to 4 on the floor and 1 on the hump.

Midwest just finished a 24 hour sale on Ball Locks for $39 ea. Mine won't arrive until Friday so that's probably a no-go for you. Check your LHBS if you're feeling antsy. Leaving it in the PF for 3.5 wks won't hurt it, I'm sure.

Otherwise, chalk it up to the last batch you'll have to bottle.

Been checking out kegconnection.com. $213 out the door for a single set up with new keg and new 5# co^2 bottle. Seems like a good price. Not sure about the used kegs. Do they hold up well? Also, just need one keg set up for now. Later on if I want to add more, it is the same regulator, just add on a manifold for the extra gas lines correct? LHBS looks like it would be about $330 for the same set up. Want to shop locally, but for that price difference...:(

Todd at Keg Connection took good care of me. He let me customize a package they had to suit my needs. Hopefully it all arrives soon (big order). :D

Most of his kegging gear is top notch and priced middle of the road. That said, his kegs are some of the more expensive ones I've seen on the 'net.

You'll find that he vast majority of the users here who keg have many used kegs. If they seal, and the gaskets/o-rings are good, they can be maintained for many many years. It's not unusual to find a 30-year-old corny keg that's still in service.

I'll probably buy new kegs someday. But not until I have more used ones around than I know what to do with.

I bought a 7.1 cuft freezer at SAM's a year ago. I can't use the 6 1/2 gallon bucket in mine as the air lock makes it to high. I guess if you use a blow off tube you could put the bottles on the shelf and fit two buckets inside. I use 2 gallon buckets and can fit 5 w/airlocks if I stack them 2 high on the floor. There is also room for a few bottles for long time storage.

I bought a 7.1 cuft freezer at SAM's a year ago. I can't use the 6 1/2 gallon bucket in mine as the air lock makes it to high. I guess if you use a blow off tube you could put the bottles on the shelf and fit two buckets inside. I use 2 gallon buckets and can fit 5 w/airlocks if I stack them 2 high on the floor. There is also room for a few bottles for long time storage.

The only 7.1 I have seen is the Haier. Is that the right brand? Probably model HCM071AW. It's also sold online at Sears, but then you'd have to pay shipping.

I'm hoping to get 4-5 ball locks in a second GE 7.0, all with blowoff tubes into a 1L PET bottle, plus storage for my backup CO2 canister. Would be pretty schweet to fit 5 primaries in a 7.0. Still researching primary in a corny keg, though it seems the anti-foam drops are the key to making it work without major blowoffs.

Been checking out kegconnection.com. $213 out the door for a single set up with new keg and new 5# co^2 bottle. Seems like a good price. Not sure about the used kegs. Do they hold up well? Also, just need one keg set up for now. Later on if I want to add more, it is the same regulator, just add on a manifold for the extra gas lines correct? LHBS looks like it would be about $330 for the same set up. Want to shop locally, but for that price difference...:(

used are fine, but personally I would only buy used locally that I can inspect. my lhbs always seems to have used ones. as for gas you can go manifold, but honestly if you aren't making it a keezer yet, just buy cheap plastic t splitters for 50 cents each plus some house clamps and split your main gas line multiple times. when you go keezer and need cleaner routing get a manifold.

Well, just got back from the LHBS. Picked up a dual set up with independent controls for each keg off of one regulator. I only got one used corny. I figured that will be good to start, and at $45 a piece, they will be pretty cheap to add on. Looks like it will need quite a bit of cleaning. Now I know what I will be doing with the afternoon. Unboxed the freezer, the GE from Sams club will fit two buckets. Now the problem will be how to lager two with a keg in there! That's a horrible problem I know! Any pointers for a new used keg owner on how to clean it so it is shiny? :D

Unboxed the freezer, and the GE from Sams club will fit two buckets.

Awesome. Just picked up my second GE 7.0 this morning. Taking it apart now. The collar is already built, so hopefully I can have it mudded, then primed, then painted for final install tonight.

Any pointers for a new used keg owner on how to clean it so it is shiny? :D

Forget shiny. Aim for clean and brew-ready. That's why you bought used kegs, remember? Function over form.

To get it clean, fill it to the weld line with the hottest water your sink can produce. Add a packet of PBW if you have it. If not, look for a local store that sells Bar Keeper's Friend. It will literally save you an hour or two of scrubbing, so it's worth searching for. Many grocery stores and drug stores carry it... but I had a hard time finding it locally. Call around first. Then, let it soak for 30 minutes.

Scrub with the stiffest non-metallic scrubbie you can find. Don't bother with the ones on the backs of sponges or even the green sheets. You're looking for something tough. Like a Dobie or a Choreboy or those loofah-like donut shaped things.

Well, I am looking around, and I think that the two bucket measurement was unneeded. If I get this from the LHBS, http://www.homebrewing.org/Cornelious-Keg-Lid-for-Secondary-Fermenter_p_999.html then I can lager in Corny kegs and fit 4 easily. Two pouring and two lagering. Just got back home with some scour pads and Oxy Clean Free. Clean the outside as best I can, then the LHBS recommended a cup of baking soda in 5 gallons of water for 24 hours to kill any soda smell. PBW and StarSan from there. Caribou Slobber will be cold crashed as soon as they get the Johnson Temp Control back in stock. Then I will be set! Also anyone in the Detroit area know where one could order a sixth barrel of Moose Drool. I want it side by side with my Slobber, you know, for science!

Sounds good.

Plan to primary in cornys myself, eventually.

The Johnson A419 is $59.99 on Amazon plus $6 shipping, prewired, if you're already waiting. I ordered 4am on Thursday (27th), package arrived at FedEx center at 10pm on Saturday (28th).

It's shipping from San Diego, so about an 8 hour drive. I was hoping it would come... yanno... in under 3 business days. Normal UPS shipping time is next day to two business days coming from NewEgg in the same city. FedEx reports it'll be delivered on the 8th. What? Why? >.<

Not the seller's fault. Just wondering why it will take 12 days to move under 550 miles.

Edit: Checked tracking on FedEx's website instead of Amazon's. The actual expected delivery date is the 2nd, so really only 3 business days. Much happier. That puts mine arriving two days before my kegs arrive... sounds just about perfect to me!

I looked on Amazon and only saw one for $69.99 plus shipping. At that rate it is a few buck cheaper then local. I'd sooner get local that way I can return it easily if it is defective.

I looked on Amazon and only saw one for $69.99 plus shipping. At that rate it is a few buck cheaper then local. I'd sooner get local that way I can return it easily if it is defective.

That's the price I meant to write. Whoops.

Saw them for over $90 locally. Was worth it for me to wait, especially since I was buying two.

Back