New Dip Tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutchoven

Reaction score
I recently fabbed up some dip tubes and whirlpool fittings for my keg kettles, thought I'd share some pics.

I wanted to prevent bottlenecks in my system, so I decided on 5/8" OD tube.

The tubes are constructed out of 5/8" stainless tube and fitted to 5/8" stainless compression fittings. The units are fitted to soldered weldless bulkheads from Bargainfittings. I borrowed a professional tube bender from my brother-in-law; I couldn't imagine trying to bend this tube without a bender.

The best part was the price -- I picked up 5 feet of 5/8" OD, 0.555 ID, 0.035" wall 316 seamless tube off Amazon for around $12; the compression fittings were on clearance at Morebeer for $8. Works out to about $10 - $11 per dip tube.

IMAG0618.jpg

IMAG0614.jpg

IMAG0620.jpg

IMAG0622.jpg

Those are great! I've been looking for 1/2" ID dip tubes and haven't been able to find them. I have 3/8" ID now but the rest of my system is 1/2". Looks like I should make them myself.

Good work. How did you go about bending them?

I used this bad boy. Professional tube bender borrowed from my brother-in-law. This was definitely the time where the "right tool" mattered. Took about five seconds to bend the tube.

IMAG0611.jpg

IMAG0612.jpg

Nice job!

It is really hard to make those bends in SS tube without a really good bender for sure. I bought a cheap one and tried everything, filling with sand, ect. and I kept failing so I just bought them from Bargainfittings. I wish I knew more people with good tools! Kudos.

Back