New car suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kscaglio

Reaction score
My car died today. Had a 93 camry, the radiator has a 4 inch gash in it and it only made it to 192000 miles. Looking to up grade to something with heat and FM radio, any suggestions?

94 Camry ? :)

I was thinking something a little more classy....
1979MarquisLineup.jpg

Under 30 for sure hopefully under 25K. I ride my bike to work most days and only need a second car once a week. But I'm toting around my kid so safety is a premium.

I love my 2009 Rav 4. I use it to haul my mountain bike and gear, and even with 4wd and 270 HP it gets 28 MPG on the highway and 24 average. I bought it for $24,500.

My wife has a newer Hyundai Sonata and we both love that car too.

Started looking at the Camaro as a joke with the wife....now I want one. This will be my first new car in 10 years. But I'll put 100 bucks on the SWMBO getting a new car and me getting stuck with the Element (I hate that thing).

If you only need a second car once a week than buy another hoopty and save your self some cash

If you only need a second car once a week than buy another hoopty and save your self some cash

was thinking the same thing but the SWMBO wants to get a nice care since her schedule changes every semester (she teaches) and more than likely I will end up needing it daily in the next year or so. Can't argue with her, don't like taking the kido's ina POS.

E36 M3 4 door. Can be had for under 10k. Safe check. Fun check. 4 doors for a more family feel check. Reliable well reliable enough check.

Btw I am a mechanic.

The e36 m3 would be fun. Maintenance ain't cheap unless you do it yourself.

I vote 05-09 subaru legacy gt limited for a family 4 door with leather with high 20's mpg and 250 hp. Its what I have.

Or if you want more of a play car pick up a slightly used sti for around 20k.

Any questions just ask.

#2 daughter has a 2008 Hyundai Sonata she absolutely adores! We've got a two-year old Hyundai Elantra Touring, and we love it! And either one can be had for under $25K.

glenn514:mug:

Started looking at the Camaro as a joke with the wife....now I want one. This will be my first new car in 10 years. But I'll put 100 bucks on the SWMBO getting a new car and me getting stuck with the Element (I hate that thing).

When you get the Element maybe you can get your balls out of the glovebox :ban:

Just messing with ya I have the same problem I have the longer commute, the Mrs just recently started working but she has the 2000 Acura and I have the '94 Civic. :drunk:

I vote 05-09 subaru legacy gt limited for a family 4 door with leather with high 20's mpg and 250 hp. Its what I have.

Or if you want more of a play car pick up a slightly used sti for around 20k.

If he picks up an 06-07 WRX they come with the 2.5 motor and some other goodies previously only on the STI without the addition price. Some where through there the started producing them only with manual trans though, if that matter to the OP.

I never buy new...$8k or $9k can buy you a great car that will last years. And if I were to buy a car now, especially in your situation, I'd go with a Ford Fusion. It keeps winning awards and everyone I know that has one, loves it.

That said, I won't give up my Mustang Gt (except for a Cobra lol)...Loud + Manual = SWMBO proof! She can't drive manual and is scared to even try lol. I never have to worry about her using it. Gas mileage blows though...

My son just bought a cherry 2003 350Z. I helped him paint the calipers red this wkend. It's sweet. 11k.

I drive a G35 coupe. Infiniti / Nissan make good cars. The G35 Sedan is great if you have little ones to drive around. Used ones are very affordable I'm sure.

I never buy new...$8k or $9k can buy you a great car that will last years. And if I were to buy a car now, especially in your situation, I'd go with a Ford Fusion. It keeps winning awards and everyone I know that has one, loves it.

Depends on the car. When we bought my wife's Civic (2005), it was about $13k to buy an '02, and about $16k to buy a brand-new 2005 (equipped virtually the same). The Civic, I wasn't worried about having a car with 40k miles on it, but buying brand-new did get me... well, a new car, with a full warranty, and importantly I was able to finance it dirt-cheap (1.9% at the time).

From what I've heard recently, used car prices have gone up relative to new car prices this year.

Not to say to NOT buy a used car, but it doesn't always make sense. In my case, I probably saved a good chunk of that "extra" cost in interest that I saved, and I still have a car that's new-enough where I shouldn't have to replace it for a while. Had we bought the '02, I probably would be looking at buying something new right about now.

As to the Element and the "balls out of the glovebox comment..." ;) that's y other vehicle. I honestly can't think of another vehicle that's more useful for hauling brew gear clean across the state, plus... there ain't a damn thing you can haul home from the hardware store that I can't fit in that thing. It's a lot more of a beast than some folks realize.

G35s are very nice. My dad has one (first model year) with 250,000 miles on it and still chugging along.

I really like Subarus and Acuras for my cars. Had a TL that was a great car, but she died saving our lives in a bad wreck. Super safe car as we were t-boned by a light runner going 50 mph and walked away. Sore and back problems after, but alive.

We now have an Outback and a Forester and love them both too. Not as nice as the TL, but I paid less for both Subarus combined than I paid for the TL. lol

Just got the wife a 2011 Chevy Malibu, $3500 cash back gets you a nicely appointed car for 22,000, with a 100,000 mile warranty.

Her old one was 11 years old with 225,000 miles on it, and it still runs fine. Free onstar and xm radio for 6 months.

_

Depends on the car. When we bought my wife's Civic (2005), it was about $13k to buy an '02, and about $16k to buy a brand-new 2005 (equipped virtually the same). The Civic, I wasn't worried about having a car with 40k miles on it, but buying brand-new did get me... well, a new car, with a full warranty, and importantly I was able to finance it dirt-cheap (1.9% at the time).

From what I've heard recently, used car prices have gone up relative to new car prices this year.

Not to say to NOT buy a used car, but it doesn't always make sense. In my case, I probably saved a good chunk of that "extra" cost in interest that I saved, and I still have a car that's new-enough where I shouldn't have to replace it for a while. Had we bought the '02, I probably would be looking at buying something new right about now.

As to the Element and the "balls out of the glovebox comment..." ;) that's y other vehicle. I honestly can't think of another vehicle that's more useful for hauling brew gear clean across the state, plus... there ain't a damn thing you can haul home from the hardware store that I can't fit in that thing. It's a lot more of a beast than some folks realize.

I do agree that it depends on the car, however, 13k is 5k more than what I said...8k should buy a good car in my book. I've never spent more than that and have always been more than pleased. I do think you're right about used car prices though, I believe they have gone up and I did not think about that before posting so they may not be as worth it these days.

I will second the G35 that passedpawn named. It gets fantastic reviews and is a nice looking car for a 4 door.

I just bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0t and love it. Definitely worth a test drive. 5 star safety rating, 275 horses, 5 years free roadside assistance, best warranty in the business.

I do agree that it depends on the car, however, 13k is 5k more than what I said...8k should buy a good car in my book. I've never spent more than that and have always been more than pleased. I do think you're right about used car prices though, I believe they have gone up and I did not think about that before posting so they may not be as worth it these days.

I mean, it always depends. I've always driven smallish, reliable Japanese cars, a couple Mazdas, my wife had a Corolla, we've got the Honda, so that's kind of my frame of reference. If I'm looking at those manufacturers and spending ~$9,000 on a used car today, I'm looking at things like '03 Civics, saw an '04 Nissan Sentra listed, an '03 Camry. These are good cars that still have some life to them, but still... those are cars with seven or eight years and 80k or 90k miles on them. Even the reliable ones start needing things like brake jobs and new clutches and new exhausts systems at some point.

I figure, with the Civic, I've had it since it was brand-new. We'll probably end up owning it for ten years, I don't see us trading it in until the_Wife is screaming and crying to get a minivan.

If instead of the new Civic, I'd bought an $8k or $9k car back in 2005, I'd probably have driven it into the ground by now and I'd be be buying ANOTHER $8k or $9k car. So, I figure I spent $16k on a car that I'll end up driving for 10 years. instead of spending $8k or $9k *twice over that same period (and having twice as many maintenance issues).

But, it all depends on the particulars of what you're looking at. I'm also perfectly happy driving the same car for ten years, which I know not everyone wants to do (despite my love of Top Gear, I'm not really that much of a car guy).

And, I know the quality of some of the American cars has gone up recently, so maybe you can get a decent Ford that's a little newer for than same $8k or $9k.

FYI most Fords are not really American cars these days. The parts come from all over the world and they are assembled in Mexico. At least my new Hyundai is assembled here in the US.

FYI most Fords are not really American cars these days. The parts come from all over the world and they are assembled in Mexico. At least my new Hyundai is assembled here in the US.

... and both of my Hondas were assembled in Ohio... ;)

Should have put the quotation marks around the "American"...

Yup. Same goes for Chevies too. My neighbors Cobalt, IIRC, is built on the same identical chassis as my wifes Volvo.

Depends on the car. When we bought my wife's Civic (2005), it was about $13k to buy an '02, and about $16k to buy a brand-new 2005 (equipped virtually the same).

d*mn. in 2006 i bought a '03 mitsu galant for the wife for $7k. crashed my e36, wife got a newer suv and now i'm driving it. still runs fine.

Just worked on a 2011 KIA optima se t gdi and wow KIA produced a really great car. Dunno how much they are though

I mean, it always depends. I've always driven smallish, reliable Japanese cars, a couple Mazdas, my wife had a Corolla, we've got the Honda, so that's kind of my frame of reference. If I'm looking at those manufacturers and spending ~$9,000 on a used car today, I'm looking at things like '03 Civics, saw an '04 Nissan Sentra listed, an '03 Camry. These are good cars that still have some life to them, but still... those are cars with seven or eight years and 80k or 90k miles on them. Even the reliable ones start needing things like brake jobs and new clutches and new exhausts systems at some point.

I figure, with the Civic, I've had it since it was brand-new. We'll probably end up owning it for ten years, I don't see us trading it in until the_Wife is screaming and crying to get a minivan.

If instead of the new Civic, I'd bought an $8k or $9k car back in 2005, I'd probably have driven it into the ground by now and I'd be be buying ANOTHER $8k or $9k car. So, I figure I spent $16k on a car that I'll end up driving for 10 years. instead of spending $8k or $9k *twice over that same period (and having twice as many maintenance issues).

But, it all depends on the particulars of what you're looking at. I'm also perfectly happy driving the same car for ten years, which I know not everyone wants to do (despite my love of Top Gear, I'm not really that much of a car guy).

And, I know the quality of some of the American cars has gone up recently, so maybe you can get a decent Ford that's a little newer for than same $8k or $9k.

I think you're correct on the particular's. I fully expect every car I own to hit 200k. Regardless of it's "region". Growing up, my father and grandfather always had American cars, Mustangs, Trans Am's, Buicks, Safari Vans, etc. Every one of them hit 200k. I think they are a bit cheaper in the used market than the "Foreign" cars due to their supposed lack of durability.

Subura legacy 200,000+ still a runner.95.Screw car payments. Used cars are currently gaining value.People arnt playing the buy this ditch this game so much.Which is a fools market.Never was that guy.

I think you're correct on the particular's. I fully expect every car I own to hit 200k. Regardless of it's "region". Growing up, my father and grandfather always had American cars, Mustangs, Trans Am's, Buicks, Safari Vans, etc. Every one of them hit 200k. I think they are a bit cheaper in the used market than the "Foreign" cars due to their supposed lack of durability.

Dodge (yes Dodge!) Stratus, 97 - 250K miles before I gave it to a niece. It's still running. It comes down to taking care of the vehicle. Regular oil changes (Mobil One), air filters, tires, brakes. And anything that is breaking - fix it! Don't ride around and let it cause worse damage. Expect external parts to wear. Starters, alternators, water pumps - they may go, but they're replaceable and cost less than another car payment or two.

All that said - I used Consumer Reports for the next purchase. Wanted an SUV with reasonable MPG. Even though it's got a 'plain-jane' look, it has served me well...Toyota Highlander. First oil change? Mobil One.

Back