New but not new

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammons5126

Reaction score
I am sort of new to the home brewing only experience I have is helping my friend do his stuff here and there. I was wondering if i could get a list of everything I would need to start out on this. thanks.

Ask him to let you help out from start to finish next time and take notes. Does he do AG, partial or extract? Even if he does AG - or especially if he does AG - he could easily teach you to do even simple extract batches.

You'll need:

A fermenter

A pot larger than the size of batch you're doing.

A hydrometer

A scale

Nylon straining bags if you want to biab or hop in them

If you're doing AG you'll want a barley crusher and a mash tun and It makes it easier if you have a second pot that you can heat sparge water in

Tubing to move wort from vessel to vessel

An auto syphon is handy if your vessels don't have valves

Sanitizer

For bottling a bottling bucket is nice but you could use your kettle or bottle directly from fermenter

Bottles and caps, of course

A bottling wand makes bottling a breeze

Or just get a kegging setup

This list is not comprehensive, and you can make beer with much less - you can make this as simple or as complicated as you want.

What bmorebrew said is great advice. There are also many YouTube vids that showcase all the equipment and various processes.

thanks for the list. i will probably be picking all that up on monday. i will start out kegging instead of bottling.

Just go to your LHBS or online to one of the vendors and buy a kit. They're always cheaper than buying each item individually. If you want to upgrade items, like a fermenting bucket to a Carboy, they will swap those items out and you just pay te difference. Good stuff!

Back