New Build, Sensor Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric_pwb

Reaction score
I am currently in the planning stages of my new brew rig build, and I am contemplating a rims type system.

I was wondering if anyone else out there has used a flow meter/sensor to protect their heating element from scorching wort/self destructing, and what you used. I am thinking about using a BCS460, and building my own interface for it, so I would like it to be usable with that, but I am not opposed to using a brewtroller or programming my own microcontroller.

Thanks,

Eric

Do a search for Float Switch, I know there are a few on here that use these to keep from dry firing their elements.

I am looking for a flow sensor, that would sense the flow rate leaving the rims pump, so if it drops down below a set threshold because the mash is stuck, it would prevent the element from turning on...

I did some googling on flow sensors a while back, and it seems like unless you get a very high end one, they are not very accurate or reliable. I dont mean to naysay, thats just what I remember from googling them.

If you can figure out what they use, in a electric on demand water heater for that purpose that would be your best bet, because they never dri fire as i know of, I have 2 myself, and they work terriffic down here in the Southland.

Just set your max temp to be 170 or greater on BCS.
if you get a stuck mash and temp rises in element, then BCS won't fire the element.
no additional hardware needed.

I haven't played with the BCS interface enough to know about it, but the logic sounds right to me. Thanks for the Tip!

Back