New Buds and Suds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosty Tim

Reaction score
well hello and a good day to you all. Im Tim, new to the home brew. Ive been canning my own for 3 years. You know they place. they make it you can/bottle it. I figure its time to meet like minded people. |After a scan of the old doodler search I poped in here as my first choice. So with that said. drop me a line and have a cold one. Cheers.

Welcome to HBT!
I've already answered your 2nd post/thread.

This forum is really for homebrewing, brewing beer yourself. Not someone else brewing and fermenting beer for you and you merely package it at the end. That's not brewing!

So look into brewing yourself, at home or with a friend at their home if you don't have the space. Many brewers here brew smallish batches (1-5 gallons) in the kitchen, and all sizes of batches outside. Brewing is not that difficult. Although it may take a lifetime to brew that "perfect beer," often only a few years of dedication can get you there, with impressive tasting results after only a few brew sessions using good ingredients and proven methods.

From your other thread I gather the beer that's being brewed for you is pretty mediocre. Those recipes (ingredients lists, rather) are terrible!
You can do so much better when brewing yourself. It takes some studying, reading, and just doing it, gaining experience as you go.

Last edited:
Well thank you. I do want to move to doing it all my self at the same business. I just looked at their recipes and wonder what one with more experience would take and tweak. I thought this would of been the proper forum. I like details to calm my what if ocd needs. bers seems like a fine steak. 1 min to long or less on a grill can wreck it for me, not sure if brewing was the same.\

Look around here on HBT, there are 1000s of recipes posted. Our Recipe Database (it's also a forum), has tested recipes, many are very detailed and contain feedback, some extensively.

Although some beer styles may include a relatively small percentage of (simple) sugars, in addition to malt sugars (from extract or made from all-grain), most beers don't include simple sugars. It thins the beer, while raising alcohol, but does not provide flavor or body.

That outfit you're dealing with, using an abundance of sugar in all their recipes is something pretty much all people-in-the-know frown upon. Yes, some beginners' kits, such as those marketed by Mr. Beer, Coopers, etc. also include an abundance of simple sugars and the "beer" it produces is not very good. Pretty much undrinkable, if you ask around.

For comparison, many homebrewers produce beers in their homes (kitchen, laundry room, garage, basement, patio, back yard, etc.) that rival many commercial craft beers.

Beer contains 4 main ingredients:
  • Water (clean and fresh)
  • Malt. From one of these, or a combination of them:
    • Malted grain and unmalted grain adjuncts (all grain or partial grain brewing, or steeping)
    • Liquid Malt Extracts (LME, "malt syrup")
    • Dry Malt Extracts (DME, "malt powder," "spray malt")
  • Hops
  • Yeast
If you're really interested in homebrewing read up on what it takes. There are plenty of resources. HBT (this site) is one of them.

I can recommend reading John Palmer's How to Brew. There's an old, online version for the basics. His 4th edition book is a lot more detailed and updated with modern day ingredients and methods.
If there's a homebrew club in your area, check em out. Maybe you can attend some brew sessions.

Nice to know you have option to take over the brewing. That might be fun on someone else's equipment. In looking at those recipes it seems the business had tried to come up with as many different brews as they can with a limited number of ingredients.

Problem is that they don't seem to have the ingredients you would want to make a stout or a wheat beer. If they would allow it I think you could make a stout using their light extract and steeping grains you would bring in from outside. Get the steeping grains crushed and get mesh bag to steep them in like making tea. I think you could pull off this recipe if they will let you do that:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/dusty-mud-irish-style-stout/
You will want to double it for 40L scale. Read down to the extract version.

You would use their extract (Light Ale) and would need 6kg. I suppose this is close to 6L if they are measuring by volume.

The steeping grains will be (2x)
1 lb. (454 g) English crystal malt (15–20 L)
1 lb. (454 g) roasted barley
0.5 lb. (227 g) black malt
don't forget to get the them crushed it does not sound like your brewing place has a grain mill!

For the hops use 1.5 oz (dont double this) Willamette for 60 min (timer starts when the kettle comes to a boil)
and 0.5 oz Cascade when you turn the kettle off

The Irish moss is optional

I imagine they only have the one ale yeast so use that. If there is a choice irish ale or a british ale would be good too but US ale yeast is probably a variant of Chico (US-05 is common version) and it will work fine.

You could also pull off the non bitter iPA using their ingredients but hops would be limited. Just use their light ale extract and a bit of their dark ale extract for your malt. Maybe 10 to 1 ratio for about 7 L. Don't use any sugar, dextrose or glucose. If you want beer a little stronger use the 7 L extract and up to 1kg dextrose. For hops just do an all cascade brew. Maybe 2 oz at 60 min, 2oz at 10 min before turning off, and 2oz when you turn off the kettle. That should be about 30 IBU in a 40 L batch which would be not very bitter for an IPA. If you really mean not at all bitter like those modern NEIPA beers then you could move the 60 minute addition to the flame out. This is not a super hoppy IPA but would be enjoyable I think. ALe yeast again.

For the wheat beer you are just out of luck unless they will let you bring in your own wheat extract.

Back