New Brewing Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loujitsu82

Reaction score
brew2010014.jpg

:ban:

Here is my new(to me) brewing rig. 2 years of partial mash/extract/Cooler MLT
I found this on CL. I have no idea what to expect efficiency wise. Cant wait til my grain gets here!

15.5 Gal Sanke HLT/MLT/
15.5 Gal x2 Boil kettle
Surflo pump.

Can anyone with similar setup guess efficiency?
How big of a batch max can I mash with 15 gal MLT?
I hope to break her in Sunday and see what I can come up with

HBT ROCKS!

Holy cow... that's one big-ass boil kettle! 5 gallon batches would look silly in there. :D

My personal experience is that I can make 10 gallon batches with gravities mid 1.050's using a 10 gallon cooler for my MLT (75%-80% efficiency and maching @ 1.5 qts of water per pound of grain).

Extrapolating that, you could do 15 gallon batches with a 15 gallon MLT and your big kettle will be a little under 2/3's full at the start of the boil.

Holy cow... that's one big-ass boil kettle! 5 gallon batches would look silly in there.

No kidding! I'd probably try and insulate that BK. I'd imagine a fair amount of heat loss due to so much exposed surface area.

You could use it to do double 12.5 gal batches for a total of 25!

Or just stick to 5 gal batches and boil like an absolute MADMAN!!!:fro:

My goal is to do bigger batches soon. I've always fermented in carboys now its time to step it up. I've heard mixed reviews on the plastic conicals (minibrew etc.) Im thinking about using kegs for fermentation but it would seem tough to harvest yeast etc.

Dude, 5 Gal. batches were tiny in this thing. I didn't reach my therm on the mash tun :( I brewed four 5 gal batches and built a fermentation container. Pics to come.

I have to say for the maiden voyage everything went well around 75% My first batch, however was kind of rough(Have to save it!). These burners are beasts! 4 batches @ 5 Gallons 3x 60 min boil 1x 90 minute boil. 1 1/2 propane tanks.

Latest posts

Back