New Brewing Books Arrived

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Received a gift certificate for an online book retailer so thought why not get a brewing book. Then I bumped the order up to get free shipping. In the end, based upon some HBT research, the following were ordered and showed up in my mailbox today:

Brew Chem 101 by Lee W. Janson

New Brewing Lager Beer by Gregory J. Noonan

Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels

Can't wait to get through these!

>>Brew Chem 101 by Lee W. Janson

Its worth reading, I give it 3.5 stars. I read it in the Library.
For one thing it makes you realize how complex the chemisitry of everything is.

This temperature is better for enzyme X, and that temperature is better for enzyme Y. They are mutually exclusive so pick a mid point.

Water is more than H2O. All those disolved minerals have an effect.

Its a good intro to a complex subject. I'm not sure what a good "Brewchem 201" book would be like, or if it even exists. There are books by George Fix, but they are probably over my head since I don't have a background in Organic Chemistry.

I give it 3.5 stars because its a bit short, and has a little filler, so there isn't as much there as I'd have liked. I'm still glad I read it, and do recommend it. Enjoy.

>>Brew Chem 101 by Lee W. Janson

Its worth reading, I give it 3.5 stars. I read it in the Library.
For one thing it makes you realize how complex the chesitry of everything is.

This temperature is better for enzyme X, and that temperature is better for enzyme Y. They are mutually exclusive so pick a mid point.

Water is more than H2O. All those disolved minerals have an effect.

Its a good intro to a complex subject. I'm not sure what a good "Brewchem 201" book would be like, or if it even exists. There are books by George Fix, but they are probably over my head since I don't have a background in Organic Chemistry.

I give it 3.5 stars because its a bit short, and has a little filler, so there isn't as much there as I'd have liked. I'm still glad I read it, and do recommend it. Enjoy.

Thanks for the review! I decided to read that one first so I'm maybe 15 or 20 pages in. I hope to get a gentle re-introduction to chemistry that will allow me to investigate a few of the concepts further if I choose. I've got a chemistry prof living down the streeet from me who I'm sure will help me with more advanced questions.

Latest posts

Back