New Brewery - Test with ten gallon batches, or, the fifteen gallon maximum capacity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
Later today I will pick up my new HLT. That will complete a process resulting in the move from a ten gallon to a fifteen gallon brewery.

I will of course need to dial in my equipment and set up my software etc.

My question, I am used to brewing 10 gallon brews. Should I continue to do so for awhile, or, is it best to make the jump to 15 gallons along with dialing in my new equipment at the same time?

I jumped from 5 to 15 gallon set up (20+ gallon boil kettle)...but I decided to try a few 12g batches first. It was a mistake in my opinion. I didn't learn enough to justify the delay in getting to the system max.

One thing I learned in the jump...it's "easier" to use a few extra pounds of grain than stress over a few points of efficiency. At this point I do a moderately soupy mash and one huge batch sparge. File that under "FWIW" (for what it's worth). I just want to get to the boil asap...even with 150,000 btu burners, getting 18 gallons to a boil take real time!

I often get a couple gallons of extra wort from the sparge. I give it a 10 minute boil then cool and freeze. When the freezer gets to crowded I throw together a batch of "Kitchen sink" beer...just throw it all together. Last batch was imperial stout, wheat beer, brown ale and IPA bases...I call it "kitchen sink stout" and, if I must say so myself, it's darn good beer...and to me it feels like it's almost free! (hops and propane and time being the only major "expenses").

Good luck with the new system.

I jumped from 5 to 15 gallon set up (20+ gallon boil kettle)...but I decided to try a few 12g batches first. It was a mistake in my opinion. I didn't learn enough to justify the delay in getting to the system max.

One thing I learned in the jump...it's "easier" to use a few extra pounds of grain than stress over a few points of efficiency. At this point I do a moderately soupy mash and one huge batch sparge. File that under "FWIW" (for what it's worth). I just want to get to the boil asap...even with 150,000 btu burners, getting 18 gallons to a boil take real time!

I often get a couple gallons of extra wort from the sparge. I give it a 10 minute boil then cool and freeze. When the freezer gets to crowded I throw together a batch of "Kitchen sink" beer...just throw it all together. Last batch was imperial stout, wheat beer, brown ale and IPA bases...I call it "kitchen sink stout" and, if I must say so myself, it's darn good beer...and to me it feels like it's almost free! (hops and propane and time being the only major "expenses").

Good luck with the new system.

Thank you, well said. I like the wort saving idea.

Back