New Brewery In Batavia, New York

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHBWNY

Reaction score
Just read an article in the Buffalo News about "Batavia Brewing Co." slated to open in the summer of 2016 on Main St. (old J.J. Newberry's store) in Batavia, NY. All I can say is, it's about time! Batavia is halfway between two major craft brew cities, Buffalo and Rochester, and I've wondered for years what's taken Batavia so long to jump on the wagon. Batavia has had a good LHBS for many years now and more recently, residents Ted and Patty Hawley have started their company, New York Craft Malt, which serves a growing number of major craft breweries in the state with their awesome homegrown and processed malts.

Glad to hear this is happening, both for the public awareness and the local economy. Anyone who cares to elaborate on other known details, please jump in.

And I beg to differ about Angotti beverage being a good LHBS. They are a no service place, most of the employees have no knowledge of brewing, their grain selection is rather modest and usually stale, and their yeast is not refrigerated. Last time I bought a packet of yeast, it was 6 months past expiration date. They have also told me 3 times that they aren't going to be selling supplies any more. Talk about not wanting to keep customers. I have been waiting almost a year for them to get back to me on a price for a 100L plastic or stainless fermenter. I quit going there unless I'm looking for a specific style of beer or cider to try.

Just to further drive my point home, stopped at the LHBS in Batavia today since we were in the area.

The only base malt they had was rye. Seriously? No base malts?

Have you tried New York Craft Malt out on Bank St. Rd. in Batavia? Just past the road to the college, just before the Thruway on the left. 2-row base malt is available as well as Light Munich, Medium Munich, Light, Medium, and Dark Roasted Malts. Specialty malts are made to order so call ahead. Distiller's malts are also available. Call Patty at 585.813.8399 for details.

Have you tried New York Craft Malt out on Bank St. Rd. in Batavia? Just past the road to the college, just before the Thruway on the left. 2-row base malt is available as well as Light Munich, Medium Munich, Light, Medium, and Dark Roasted Malts. Specialty malts are made to order so call ahead. Distiller's malts are also available. Call Patty at 585.813.8399 for details.

I have not yet, but we have been talking to Ted. We would like to see him get involved with Wyoming County Homebrew Club even though he is in Genesee. Don't let my user name fool you though, we aren't related to the Genesee Hawley's lol. At least not that we know of.

By the way, I stopped into Angotti's to grab some new cider releases and it appears they have stopped carrying grains and other supplies. I have been getting the majority of my grains through Niagara Tradition for now until I can convince the Arcade supply store to begin carrying more beer related supplies.

I have not yet, but we have been talking to Ted. We would like to see him get involved with Wyoming County Homebrew Club even though he is in Genesee. Don't let my user name fool you though, we aren't related to the Genesee Hawley's lol. At least not that we know of.

By the way, I stopped into Angotti's to grab some new cider releases and it appears they have stopped carrying grains and other supplies. I have been getting the majority of my grains through Niagara Tradition for now until I can convince the Arcade supply store to begin carrying more beer related supplies.

I know what you mean about the local availability of ingredients. I don't brew in enough volume to give NY Craft Malt any amount of business (10 lb minimum purchase). For the most part, I've gone to ordering online (NB), or when I'm in Rochester, Sunset Hydroponics and Homebrew on Clay Rd. near Brighton-Hen. Townline Rd.. Thorough selection of ingred. and equip.

Niagara Tradition is one hell of a brew store. The only malt I haven't been able to walk in and grab off the shelf is Kölsch malt. Everyone tells me to check out Sunset but I rarely make it to Rochester and if I do I'm usually in such a rush that I don't have time.

I have bought a lot from Farmhouse Brewing Supply online. And I've been getting really good communication from HomeBrewSupply online but have just been able to make it to NT a least once a month so I haven't ordered from them yet.

Back