New brewer here from Luxembourg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medixlux

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got so many questions I don't know where to start. But here is the thing.I'm on a low budget and wanna start with the whole grain brewing.
Here is the equipment i go: 25 liter square cool box mash tun
15 liter glass carboy for fermenting.
question what size kettle do I need to brew approx.3-3.5 gallons batch size
with the equipment i have?

thanks

Christpohe

A good rule of thumb is to get a brew kettle that has twice the volume of the final volume of beer. You can get away with 1.5 times, but you will soon want to do a big beer like a tripel or barleywine and you will need that full 2X volume.

if your only ever going to brew that size then a 5-8 gallon will give you good service....however a ten gallon pot is pretty versatile, giving you the extra volume if you might ever brew more, for only one investment of cash.........and don't forget a good mash paddle;)

medilux - I use one of these: https://www.brewuk.co.uk/electrim-mashing-boiler.html

and a cool box mash tun

I boil up roughly 13L, 12L, 12L to do the mash and sparge

I store all that in a big pan - after the final spare I put all the wort back in to the boiler and use that for the main boil, hops etc.

works fine

I recommend getting a 23L not 15L carboy - most recipes are 5 Gallon

medilux - I use one of these: https://www.brewuk.co.uk/electrim-mashing-boiler.html

and a cool box mash tun

I boil up roughly 13L, 12L, 12L to do the mash and sparge

I store all that in a big pan - after the final spare I put all the wort back in to the boiler and use that for the main boil, hops etc.

works fine

I recommend getting a 23L not 15L carboy - most recipes are 5 Gallon

thanks for the idea greatly appreciated

I think you need to be careful about spending money too early - until you understand how everything interacts - I was going to buy an expensive set up initially but I went cheap with a view of upgrading later - except that it all kind of works fine and have no reason to now

Latest posts

Back