new brewer from oklahoma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okbrewman

Reaction score
Hi all, have received some good tips here so far. 1 I couldnt find tho---Is it better to do the 2nd fermentation method or not?

Welcome from another Oklahoma brewer and noob.. If yo look around a bit you will find that topic debated several times. I would do a linky thing to one of the threads but i have no idea how to do that yet.

SD

Hello fellow Okie.

Do a google forum search keyword "secondary" and you should find volumes on the debate.

It really comes down to personal preference more than anything. The main goal of secondary conditioning is to allow more of the yeast and trub (break material) to settle out of the beer thus making it "brighter" or clearer. A secondary benifit is it afford some additional bulk ageing which helps with consistency.

Some people are only comfortable with the "uber clear" beer. Combine this with finnings, kegging and forced carbonation and that, clear beer, is achievable even without a filtration system.

As for me, I have brewed myself towards simplicity. I do an extended primary fermentation in plastic (not to exceed 4 weeks) and go straight to a corny for secondary until serving time. I dry hop, when desired directly in the keg. And occasionally, for those special English styles, I will naturally carbonate in the keg.

Yep, secondary is kinda a mis named thing. It really just means to clarify in another tank or vessel. I do it all in one and then transfer clear beer, but I am in kegs and can do this easily. Others, use secondaries and get really clear beer, but then prime with sugar and bottle or keg. It really is preference and what you are set up for in your brewery.

Oh yeah, and Boomer Sooner fellas. I moved back from Red Raider country a few years back now.

Howdy! Good to see all these Okies on board. I haven't brewed in over a year now.....maybe it will take some local guys to get me remotivated!

howdy--Im in enid btw, i think I may have skunked my first batch. I am making a pilsner to start with and fermented for 5 days then tonight I transfered it for 2nd fermentation, but the racking got the best of me and i think I may have allowed to much oxygen into the beer. oh well, still gonna bottle it and heading to the store tommorrow to get another mixture

I don't think you skunked it. A lager like that is going to take longer than 5 days to ferment and clear enough for racking to secondary. What was your fermentation temperature? Leave it in the secondary until the sulphur smelling yeast byproducts get reabsorbed and dissipate. You need to lager it like 35*F for a couple of weeks after you get a clear beer in your secondary.

Good to see plenty of Okies on the forum. Brewing is always more fun when you've got people that share the hobby. Are any of you members of any local brew clubs?:mug:

Calvinfan1 said:
Good to see plenty of Okies on the forum. Brewing is always more fun when you've got people that share the hobby. Are any of you members of any local brew clubs?:mug:

High Plains Draughters editor here.

wortmonger said:
I don't think you skunked it. A lager like that is going to take longer than 5 days to ferment and clear enough for racking to secondary. What was your fermentation temperature? Leave it in the secondary until the sulphur smelling yeast byproducts get reabsorbed and dissipate. You need to lager it like 35*F for a couple of weeks after you get a clear beer in your secondary.

thx for response---I never did take temp reading, but the hydrometer read 1.018--

also I am not member of any clubs but have 2 other guys that are getting into brewmaking, so will have a few to trade with and discuss ideas

Well, for lager I hope you had a low enough temperature otherwise it will be a little fruity. That shouldn't hurt anything though, time will take that skunk out and you will be fine.

I love the way I brew now. My fermentations have never been better, or easier to clean up afterwords. I think once I go to steam I will have no further issues to do with temperature anymore. You guys can check out my system anytime, well.... after it gets beautified, lol. I am pretty ashamed of the way the stand looks right now.

wortmonger said:
I love the way I brew now. My fermentations have never been better, or easier to clean up afterwords. I think once I go to steam I will have no further issues to do with temperature anymore. You guys can check out my system anytime, well.... after it gets beautified, lol. I am pretty ashamed of the way the stand looks right now.

Man, I need to come over your place for a day:) --Is the three tier brew systems I see for making wort or for the fermentation?

The three tier is my HLT on top, then MT in the middle then a kettle on the bottom. I don't have to use a pump if I don't want to so it makes life easier. My fermentation all takes place in a chest freezer with a temperature controller. I move the chilled wort into a Sanke keg as my fermenter and then ferment under a little bit of pressure until almost done, then I bump up the pressure for carbonation. I let it sit for a little bit after completely done and then crash cool for a week and transfer. I get really clear beer and it is ready to drink 3 weeks grain to glass. It is always way better after another week in the kegerator though.

Back