New brewer - fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am new to this forum and am brewing my first beer at the moment. Having followed the instructions on the kit I bought, it says fermentation should take 4-6 days and there should be no bubbles. Today is the 6th day and there is loads of bubbles?

Will it be ok if I bottle it now or should I leave it a bit longer?

cheers

Most beet kit instructions are garbage. Leave it alone til its finished then bottle. i normally let mine go for 10 days before kegging it. i'll go 14 days if im going to dry hop.

Ah right cheers i'll leave it abit longer then.

Also, I am brewing it at the temperature of my room not using a heat mat/pad or anything, does this mean it will take longer and wont damage it?

Do not use the airlock as a means to measure fermentation. It is a good hint, but it's not accurate. 6 days from brewing to bottles is way too short. I always let my batches sit in primary for 2-3 weeks and have yet to have any major issues. If I'm going to dry hop, I do that for another 7-10 days.

From what I've observed, the airlock is most active during the first 4-5 days (give or take) and seems to vary from brew to brew.

If I were you, I would wait for at least 14 days and then take a gravity sample. Then wait 2 more days and take another sample. If the samples are the same, then fermentation is pretty much complete. If the 2nd sample you took is lower than the 1st, then fermentation is not complete, and it needs more time. I'd still give it another week after it's complete just to clear up and let everything settle. Again, these are just my opinions.

You want to try and ferment at 60F-70F. The internal temp of the vessel will be slightly higher than the ambient temp of the room. I've read that the sweet spot is around 65F-68F for the internal temp of the beer.

If the yeast gets too cold, it can suspend fermentation and go dormant and will crap out too early before all the sugars are converted into alcohol. If it gets too warm, the yeast can create undesired off-flavors.

Take a hydrometer reading on day 12. You may be at FG on day 12, but you won't know this without a confirming SG reading. Take another reading on day 15. Readings that are the same means FG has been reached.

Waiting until the hydrometer samples are clear will keep the suspended sediment from ending up in your bottles.

Ah right cheers i'll leave it abit longer then.

Also, I am brewing it at the temperature of my room not using a heat mat/pad or anything, does this mean it will take longer and wont damage it?

What is the ambient temperature? Fermentation will produce heat. The wort can be 3°F to 5°F over ambient temperature for a low gravity beer. High gravity beers can rise as much as 10°F. Fermenting at to high of a temperature, for the type of yeast used, can produce some very bad off flavors.

Not sure for definite, but around 17/18 degrees (I'm in the UK). I'm not too fussed about making this lot tasting really nice, admittedly I'd rather it did but as its my first lot I just dont want to make anyone ill

Not sure for definite, but around 17/18 degrees (I'm in the UK). I'm not too fussed about making this lot tasting really nice, admittedly I'd rather it did but as its my first lot I just dont want to make anyone ill

The fermenting wort being at this temperature would be ideal. If this is the ambient temperature, you might still be okay with a low to moderate OG beer.

Setting your fermentor in a tub of water, covered with a cotton towel or t-shirt, will help keep it cooler. The water in the tub can also be cooled with ice filled plastic soda bottles. Adding a fan will accelerate evaporation and drop the wort temperature even more.

The good thing about stuff that can grow in beer, is it won't kill anyone. Can cause a few upsets though.

Back