New brewer: Fermentation progress question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarshalFlint

Reaction score
Hi All, in the process of my first home brew ever. Working with True Brew IPA kit. Had activity in the fermenter within 16-24 hours. Now 72 hours and considerably less activity. Took a reading today, right at 72 hours. OG was 1.052. Gravity at 72 hours is 1.022. A way to go, I know, but trying to get a feel for whether that is a reasonable drop in the first couple of days? Cheers.

Sounds reasonable to me. Should drop a few more points over the next few days.

Couldn't agree more. Gravity often drops very quickly at first then slows, but continues. Seems reasonable, so now just wait, because the rapid fermentation at the beginning is often the cause of a few off flavours, and given a little time the yeast 'clean up after themselves'.

When the initial rapid bubbling slows or stops, usually only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly, uneventfully creep down to a stable FG. I then give it 3-7 days to clean up any by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling.

Thank you all. Very helpful. Now it's down to waiting...I knew I should have gotten two fermenters. Give me something to do besides stare at the airlock.

I talk to mine. Yeast are living thing just like plants and I think the encouragement I give them helps make better beer.
It's only when SWMBO over hears me calling the fermentor baby and honey that she gets jealous. 8)

Thank you all. Very helpful. Now it's down to waiting...I knew I should have gotten two fermenters. Give me something to do besides stare at the airlock.

Two? I have 5 going right now. Gives the beer time and me something to do.
D

Back