new brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superbob404

Reaction score
I'm an extract brewer who uses specialty grain sometimes, I'm looking to upgrade my brew pot & eventually be an all grain brewer. I'm looking at the Blichman Boilermakers, they aren't cheap but they really aren't much more then other ones & they seam like the best...are they? I'd like some fedback from anyone who has one. Thanks from a new member!
Super Bob

I pimped my keggle for about $135 - polished, sight glass, thermometer, 1/2" stainless valve, TIG welds and silicone hose..... That's tough to beat for a 15.5 gallon polished pot !!

A pot is a pot? I suppose a Ferrari is just a car?

Yup...

You could go the DIY route and have a 32-40qt kettle for ~$100 (or less), or go and buy one with all the bling and spend ~$300+...

Just like you can spend $30k on a car, or $100k+ on a car... Driving the same speeds will get you where you're going just the same. There are plenty of cars in the lower end of that scale that rate very well... Some even more comfortable than the more expensive models.

Personally, I'm a truck guy, so it doesn't really matter (don't see the attraction of a Ferrari, other than a neat logo)... As long as my brewing gear fits in the bed and there's enough room in the cab, and it has the features I KNOW I want/need, it's all good.

IF money was no issue, then I'd say spend it as you want. But, if you need to save, or justify the money spent to your SWMBO, then be careful. I have heard great things about the Blichmann kettles though...

IF I was to purchase one, I'd be looking at those first. You really need to see them in person to really know what they're about... Even better if you can compare them with the other brands...

The blichmanns are awesome, definitely not cheap, but it's one of those things where I think it's worth it because it just works exactly the way you want it to. I do understand that they've been having issues with supply, so the boilermakers are getting to be hard to come by.

I got a 10 gallon blichmann as a gift and it is a great piece of hardware. It seems like I get better heat distribution and less scorching than my old thin steal pot. I don't know that I would have spent that kind of money on myself, but I do really like it.

[HIJACK]

Yup...

Just like you can spend $30k on a car, or $100k+ on a car... Driving the same speeds will get you where you're going just the same. There are plenty of cars in the lower end of that scale that rate very well... Some even more comfortable than the more expensive models....

SWMBO said the same thing when we were looking for a new car. She was looking at practical cars....I talked her into buying a Benz :rockin:
Now she wont even consider giving up "her" car:D

[/HIJACK]

OR.....Midwest Supplies has a 10 gallon all grain setup for $399.95. It includes 2 10 gallon pots, they both have a ball valve & 1 has a thermometer. They probably aren't as nice as the Boilermaker but I guess I don't need a 'Ferrari'....it would be dumb if I didn't get it! What do you think?

You can get 15gal ss pots in Amazon for $120. It would let you go for 10gal batches later on.

OR.....Midwest Supplies has a 10 gallon all grain setup for $399.95. It includes 2 10 gallon pots, they both have a ball valve & 1 has a thermometer. They probably aren't as nice as the Boilermaker but I guess I don't need a 'Ferrari'....it would be dumb if I didn't get it! What do you think?

10 gallon pots/kettles means you won't be able to do 10 gallon batches, just boil for 5 gallon batches of BIG beers... If you want to go to 10 gallon batches, you'll want 15 gallon pots/kettles...

I think it really matters with what you have for a budget or money available to spend right now... I would go more with the better item you can afford/justify now, and get more gear as you can. Better to get that one kick-ass kettle now, then two ok kettles... Especially since you'll probably want the better kettle later and you'll need to try and sell the others (taking a loss, so spending more) at that time...

[HIJACK]

SWMBO said the same thing when we were looking for a new car. She was looking at practical cars....I talked her into buying a Benz :rockin:
Now she wont even consider giving up "her" car:D

[/HIJACK]

:off:

That's why I said "some"... I would always advise test driving everything you can possibly afford when going for a new car... That way you make a better decision... It's what I'll be doing in another year or two, when I'm ready for a new truck... Depending on where I'm living and working, I might even go with a full sized truck over the small/mini truck... Mostly so that I can more easily carry my brewing gear to other places. :rockin:

Can you just drill a hole in those pots to add a thermometer & a ball valve?

With the right drill, bit and possible lube :eek: you can drill just about anything you want... It was a snap for me to drill my aluminum pots and install ball valves. People drill kegs all the time to install valves and such. If your drill is strong, and your bit is sharp, you can do it. :D

Golddiggie said:
10 gallon pots/kettles means you won't be able to do 10 gallon batches, just boil for 5 gallon batches of BIG beers... If you want to go to 10 gallon batches, you'll want 15 gallon pots/kettles...

A 5 gal pot wouldn't work for a 5 gal batch? Never done all grain before, do you not boil with a lower volume and then add water to the wort afterwards? Or is that only in extract and partial?

Personally, If I were going to spend more money on a brew pot, It would be because it offers something special that others don't. So in that sense, my preference would be this one. I like the fact that the pot from Stout Tanks can come with a tangential inlet (with tri-clamp fittings) and concave bottom. I don't see any others with those features.

Comparing a Blichmann to other pots isn't really like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford, because the Blichmann doesn't offer any performance enhancements that I'm aware of. I don't see what the Blichmann has to offer that's better than my keggle, except looks.

A 5 gal pot wouldn't work for a 5 gal batch? Never done all grain before, do you not boil with a lower volume and then add water to the wort afterwards? Or is that only in extract and partial?

Nope, for all grain you boil the entire amount at once. This means you need at least a 7.5-8 gallon pot.

5gal volume on a 5gal pot is to the lip of the pot. no room for expansion and boiling.

I pimped my keggle for about $135 - polished, sight glass, thermometer, 1/2" stainless valve, TIG welds and silicone hose..... That's tough to beat for a 15.5 gallon polished pot !!

How much time do you think you have in all that?

With all grain, you want to hit your final volume in the kettle. So to ferment 5 gallons you'll probably be looking to start boiling with 6-7 gallons (assuming a 60 minute boil, depending on your actual boil-off rate), ending up with just over 5 gallons in the kettle once the wort has been chilled, leaving the trub at the end in the kettle.

You CAN boil less, ending up with less than 5 gallons, but when you top off to hit your target volume you'll need to mix the hell out of it before taking an OG reading. Hitting your target volume during the boil means you don't need to do that at all. Plus, having more water to work with, and being able to boil it down, means you'll probably get better results from the grain.

Since going all grain, I've been doing full batch boils. Getting great results from it. I know of one other all grain brewer (BIAB method) who's pot isn't large enough to hit 5 gallons end volume, depending on the recipe boil time.

If I needed to, I could use my 60qt kettle to boil a BIG brew down to ~5 gallons. I'd rather not so I use my 32qt kettle...

Remember, your boiling to concentrate the wort, as well as process hops and such... You'll want a pot large enough to handle up to 30-32 quarts in order to do 99% of the 5 gallon batches. If you use fermcap in the boil, you can get more wort in there without having boil-over... So I could fit 30qt into my 32qt pot if I needed to... I'd rather not go that high, but I can do it. If I had just 20qt pots/kettles, I'd either be making 2.5 gallon batches, or I'd be topping off with ~1 gallon and not be able to trust the OG readings. This is supposed to be fun, so having a large kettle/pot is a very good idea.

Comparing a Blichmann to other pots isn't really like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford, because the Blichmann doesn't offer any performance enhancements that I'm aware of. I don't see what the Blichmann has to offer that's better than my keggle, except looks.

More like comparing the base model of a truck with the top end model of that same truck... Both will get you there, and allow you to haul gear... Just the higher model gets you there in more comfort and style...

Really more personal preference than anything else... You can always add most of what's on a Blichmann to any other pot/kettle/keggle to get close to the same end result. It's just the fit and finish from the Blichmann will probably be better/tighter than doing it ourselves...

Get a MegaPot by polarware, they are amazing and competitively priced. I bought my 10 gallon pot, hole drilled, and a ball valve installed for $184. Best brewing purchase i have ever made.

I have a Blichmann, and I love it! Yes, they are expensive. Yes, you can get similar features on other kettles. But the construction of every part of the Boilermaker is very robust. The sight glass is well protected (like nothing else I've ever seen) and built so that it's very easy to clean. The dip tube scavenges to within a fraction of an inch of the bottom of the kettle. The thermometer is well located and easy to read, and everything that touches my beer is stainless steel.

I like Golddiggie's analogy about "base model" vs. "top end model" and I think it's pretty accurate. There are plenty of other kettles out there that will get the job done. But none of the others make my life as easy as the Blichmann does. I'm not sorry, for even a second, that I bought one. In fact--I'd like to have another.

Brian

BendBrewer said:
How much time do you think you have in all that?

I chose to drill my own holes because I'd never used a step bit before and wanted to give it a try :) it took about 2 hours !
Ordering the bling and dropping it off at the welders took about 1/2 hours
Polishing it, which was COMPLETELY unnecessary, took about another hour or two

Shes a sexy stainless ***** and I love her :)

I have a 10g Blichmann. I stuck with 10g because i don't drink that fast and like to brew. 10 gallon batches would not allow me to brew very often.

I didn't want aluminum for my boil kettle. I don't have a great reason for this besides SS preference. I use a cheap Al pot for a HLT.

I wanted a thermometer, valve (3 piece), and sight glass. By the time you add all this to even a cheap SS pot, you are approaching the price of a Blichmann.

I feel keggles are too heavy and bulky for 5g batches.

That was my logic, flawed as it may be.

kettle.jpg

They made me this at homebrew heaven for about $230 in about 20 minutes. it's a 9 gallon brew kettle that will be my HLT when I get a house and can do 10 gallon batches. I gave it a test drive and it works like a charm. I could have gone with brass fittings and valves for about $25 less, but I wanted a little bling!

A pot is not just a pot. That being said, you don't need the most expensive pot, just one of reasonably sturdy quality. Back in the day, I got my 10 gallon brew pot for about $90-100 on ebay. Unbranded, stainless steel with tri-ply bottom, and sturdy riveted handles. Because really, who wants a handle to fall off while carrying 5 gallons of hot liquid?

Back