New Boil Kettle purchase.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

optimatored

Reaction score
Right now I have a 6-gallon whatever brand SS brew kettle. For x-mas I got a 10-gallon Rubbermaid cooler and false bottom... so now I want a larger brew kettle (full 5gal boils) and will use my current 6-gallon as my HLT.

I can buy a bayou classic 9-gal for 75.00 and the weldless valve for 26.00, total of 101 plus shipping.

Or do I buy a morebeer.com heavy duty pot, 8-gallon for 160 plus shipping?

Northernbrewer sells 10-gal megapot with the ball-valve for like 200 or plus shipping?

I guess what I am getting at is what’s the advantage of one pot vs. another? Is a heavy bottom actually beneficial? I use an outdoor propane cooker so my guess is no. Thanks!

IMO, don't get an 8 gal boil kettle. I have one and they just aren't quite big enough for full boils of any length for 5 gal batches. If you make a 5.5 gal gal batch using a lot of Pils malt (i.e. long boil) then you end up having to reserve 1 gal or so and add it later during the boil. That's not really a big deal but why 'design' your system such that it isn't sufficient? You could use Fermcap but again, why design it 'short'?

Unfortunately I can't help on the rest. I just ordered a 15 gal Megapot with ball valve but I haven't used it.

I can say that my 8 gal Megapot is a really thick pot and other than being just a bit too small has served me very well. IIRC, Morebeer doesn't sell the 10 gal Megapot but I know Austin Homebrew does. Morebeer has free shipping on their Megapots. I assume the low, flat rate shipping applies at Austin but you might wanna ask.

But trust me on the 'no 8 gal boil kettles for 5 gal batches'.:)

I use a Proctor-Silex el cheapo 30 qt. SS brew kettle, and do full 6.5 gal starting wort AG boils. 5 drops of Fermcap-S: no foam, no worries. If you use the Fermcap, I can't see how an 8 gallon pot is going to give trouble.

i didnt know about the no foam product. but if that works maybe i will go the smaller route.

i just dont want to buy something and then have to buy another pot later! i need that money for a barley crusher one day!

Back