New Bench Capper not working.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mximus11

Reaction score
So I got this deluxe Agata bench capper from AHS and everytime I pull the lever down the cap gets wedged in the bell. The bottle is capped but the bottle and cap stay in the bell. I'm sure its the right size bell for the caps and I don't think I am using it wrong. Any tips?

how sure are you the bell is the right size?

are you sure you're getting it all the way down so the crimp is complete, and not snagging the bell?

Pretty sure its right. I set everything dead center and pull down. Gets stuck everytime. The bell that comes with it is for standard size caps correct? There aren't smaller caps are there?!

I had this with a much used bench capper when I first started using it, found that when I gave it a really good thump - don't be afraid - it does not stick. I also have given it a quick double pump which also works well. I think you are simply not crimping the edges all the way down and they are hanging up in the bell. Give some muscle and I think you will be fine.

Okay, so, when its stuck... Force it down some more? I'm not too scared of breaking a bottle, I'm more scared of losing 12 ounces of beer! Ill try it out tonight, if I can't get it to work ill just bust out the ol' Black Beauty Capper.

The instructions for my Ferrari capper say: "The inside of the crimping cup should be slightly greased before use." Might be worth trying a little keg lube if you have it, or even cooking oil.

The instructions for my Ferrari capper say: "The inside of the crimping cup should be slightly greased before use." Might be worth trying a little keg lube if you have it, or even cooking oil.

Win!

Pam cooking spray. No lie, a tiny squirt and it works like a dream. Usually only once for a 5 gallon batch.

I had the same thing when i first got mine, but once i started pressing harder and no problems now. I give it a pretty good firm pull and I've never broken a bottle. With the force coming down from directly above instead of pulling on the bottle neck, Its less likely that it'll break.

thumbs up for the pam cooking spray. had the same problem with mine and found that the beel was not threaded on right, almost cross treaded, removed and threaded it on right and works just fine

Back