New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IIPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danszabrew

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a clone recipe, so any input and advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've been scouring the internet for information on this beer.. they just released a new batch of IPA/IIPA's in December and they haven't released much information on their website as they do with other beers.
Having said that, I have been able to find some information and this is my attempt at a recipe.

Hops:
I found an article mentioning the hops that are used in this beer.
Mosaic, Calypso, Delta, Bravo. I haven't used any of these hops with exception of Mosaic - Anyone with experience on these hops want to shed some light?

I know that this beer is 70 IBU so here goes:

1 oz Bravo at 90
.75oz Mosaic, .75oz Calypso, 1oz Delta at 10

.5 Calypso at 160
.5 Mosaic at 160

Dry hop:
No idea?
Shot in the dark:
1oz Mosaic, 1oz Calypso, .5oz Delta

Yeast:
I know that this beer is 9% abv and that the FG is 1.012 (degassed a sample last night)
I've only used 1 yeast that gets the AA% and that's WLP090
Their website says the use ale yeast .. duh :D

Grain:
This is the most difficult part for me anyway. Most of their beers they detail the grain that is used.. a lot of their IPA/IIPA's use c120/black malt. Personally, I taste biscuit in all of their IPAs .. someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
I was having issues with using an SRM printout with the sample side by side, however I do happen to have a bells 2 hearted clone on tap at 10-10.5 SRM - The New Belgium Voodoo Ranger and my 2 hearted clone are almost identical in color.

Having said that, here is a stab at the grain bill:
With having a FG of 1.012 and 9% abv - the OG needs to be at 1.080-1.081
I get around 70% efficiency with my setup

15 # American 2 row
1 # Biscuit malt
.75# C60

For others:
89% 2row
6% biscuit
5% c60

This should get me a preboil of 1.059 at 7.5 gallons in the kettle and 5.5 in the fermenter at 1.080

59*7.5/5.5

Color:
This gives us 10.53 SRM which should get us pretty close

Any tips/ feedback is greatly appreciated!
:mug:

Hi, I'm new here and saw this post. I love Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA too. Have you tried this recipe? Can you tell me what yeast you tried? How did it turn out?

How did the voodoo ranger turn out? Any updates on the recipe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back