New Belgium Belgo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Belgium is one of those great breweries that put all of their recipe details on their website, take a crack at making a recipe:

Belgo IPA is a Belgian twist on India Pale Ale made with five varieties of hops. Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, and Amarillo hops are pitched in the kettle. Cascade, Amarillo, and Willamette hops are added during dry-hopping. Medium-bodied, Belgo opens with citrus and floral tones from generous hopping, then gives way to soft fruit tones implied by the authentic Trappist yeast strain and finishes clean.

Just the facts Ma'am...
ABV - 8.0%
IBU - 70
Calories - 232
Hops - Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo
Malts - Pale, C120, Honey malt
OG - 18.5
TG - 3

*facepalm* -- probably should have checked their site first :p

Guess it's time to make a clone :D

Anyone give this one a go yet? This is one of my top beers I'm buying because I haven't found a good clone yet... I can damn near drink the whole 6 pack in a single sitting... need to brew this.

I'm currently giving it a go. Just finished the boil. I will check back in with my results. I had a few (alot)of random hops in the freezer to use up, but my aim was this "style".

Note, the new belgium site updated, it's now a 7% - 60 IBU beer; which seems a bit more in line with what I taste... Here's my take; gonna give this a try this week or next:

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.45 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 8.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 61.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
14 lbs                Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        93.3 %        
12.0 oz               Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)                    Grain         2        5.0 %         
4.0 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)   Grain         3        1.7 %         
0.75 oz               Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           4        34.6 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Centennial [8.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min      Hop           5        15.6 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Cascade [5.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           6        6.0 IBUs      
1.00 oz               Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min    Hop           7        5.1 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787 Yeast         8        -             
0.50 oz               Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Day Hop           9        0.0 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Cascade [5.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days      Hop           10       0.0 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Willamette [4.30 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days   Hop           11       0.0 IBUs      

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Saccharification  Add 38.19 qt of water at 156.5 F        148.0 F       90 min        
Mash Out          Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min              168.0 F       10 min

Brewed this last night, currently fermenting at 72F... blowoff tube needed.
First time brewing on my new setup so didn't hit my numbers exactly, OG 1.061, target of 1.065. But I did get my 6G volume. Used a 3L starter of Wyeast 3522 (Ardennes instead of the strong). A quick side-by-side with a NB Belgo shows that the color is almost identical. Only time will tell if the rest of the recipe is on target.

IMAG2585.jpg

After 12 days in the primary... OG was 1.061, short about 4 points, and I hit 1.017 FG. that works out to close to 6%. I was shooting for 1.018 so that worked out nicely.

First, the color is still spot on. Second, the aroma ... I can't even describe how wonderful this is... but spot on... An amazing fruity, orange, grapefruit... just magical smell mixed with just the slightly hit of clove and belgian banana... perfect...

Taste... close, but so far it's just way too young... The dry-hop bitterness is overwhelming the flavor now and a bit too dry in flavor (a little odd with an FG of 1.017).. going to take a few more weeks (or more) to let the malt profile come out... going to shoot for this to be ready second week of June... I wish I could rush it, but it's so close to being a clone...

Thinking of a rebrew, I'm only looking to bump up the gravity to hit about 7% and maybe up the honey malt to really let the sweetness come out as well, maybe a water profile adjustment more toward malty.

IMAG2612.jpg

IMAG2613.jpg

IMAG2614.jpg

Brewed this 6 weeks ago. The aroma during dryhop was amazing; and I think next time I might hold off on dry-hop till much closer. This beer needed about 6 weeks to get the flavors settled. It started with a nice balance but had a fairly spicy, dry finish which comes from the yeast, not the 1.017 FG finish. I hadn't had a Belgo since I brewed and my local store finally had some more in stock so it was time for a side by side.

First, they've got me on clarity (a little bit of chill haze as mine clears up above 55F); but, otherwise, I was surprised how close these two are in color, aroma and taste. I had recalled NB Belgo being a bit smoother and not nearly as spicy; but the spice in the homebrew version has mellowed since previous tastes and it's just about the same in the NB Belgo.

Aroma is nearly identical; only slight difference would be just a touch more of bubblegum coming out of the NB versus mine. I had been thinking that I should switch the yeasts and up the malt for a v2; I might just leave it and change the fermentation profile. Instead of 72F for 2 weeks, start at say 68F for two days and rise up to 72F... might curtail the spice a bit. Not sure how to pull more bubblegum out of the 3522... but this is going to be so much fun trying since it's really a fantastic tasting beer and recipe.

IMAG2722.jpg

IMAG2726.jpg

IMAG2728.jpg

So how'd it turn out? Belgo is one of my favorites.

Yours looks great in the glass...any way you can upload an extract version? It'll be a couple years before I make the transition to all-grain.

I turned out really well. I had some water issues, so I need to do a re-brew with all RO + salts to clean that up.

But it was really really promising. Here's the beersmith conversion... looking at it, I'd look at other extract recipes to see what they do about crystal and honey malt additions.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs 14.9 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 3 100.0 %
21.23 g Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 34.6 IBUs
28.31 g Centennial [8.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 15.6 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
28.31 g Cascade [5.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 6.0 IBUs
28.31 g Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 5.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522) [12 Yeast 9 -
14.17 g Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Day Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
14.17 g Cascade [5.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
14.17 g Willamette [4.30 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Thanks...was this for your original 6 gal batch size or scaled down for a 5 gal extract batch? I'll hunt around for some belgian IPA extract recipes for ideas for steeping grains.

I harvested yeast from 3 bottles of Belgo over the weekend and have been stepping up slowly so I can brew this up on Friday. Looking forward to it!

cwschupp said:
Thanks...was this for your original 6 gal batch size or scaled down for a 5 gal extract batch? I'll hunt around for some belgian IPA extract recipes for ideas for steeping grains.

I harvested yeast from 3 bottles of Belgo over the weekend and have been stepping up slowly so I can brew this up on Friday. Looking forward to it!

6 gallons.

I'd do some research on the bottling yeast that NB uses. I seem to recall that they do a flash pasteurization to there beers that kills the yeast, and then it's carbonated. I could be wrong though. You've got some yeast growth? Or something is growing.

Thanks for the heads up...I've found conflicting info on the Internet so I've emailed NBB. As for the yeast I have growing its actually from bear republic Racer 5, I've collected 3 bottles of Belgo dregs and was about to start it up tonight. I guess I'll wait for a response from NBB.

I'm also quite curious about this recipe as its one of my favorites from NBB and also one of the girlfriends favorites as well. Id like to do an extract/partial mash steeping recipe. If anyone has any suggestions for a 5 gallon batch I'd love to hear them.

I can't find simcoe anywhere and want to brew this up. Maybe a Columbus instead of Simcoe?

I'd go for something more fruity in the nose/flavor if you can Amarillo, or Citra; though there are some who thing using these aromatic hops for bittering is a crime

Another approach is a very clean bittering hop, like magnum.

After six weeks here it is. Finished down at 1.014 7.2% and quite tasty.. I love the recipe; however, my LHBS only had WLP500 and the first couple of pours where pretty close but the latest one is all banana My ferm temps did get up into the 74-76 range so I think that's what brought that out. I did drop that after 2 days back down to 68. Even if it's not exactly what i was going for, it's still a damn tasty beer.

2012-11-05 16.42.42.jpg

That looks awesome! I'm a big fan of the Ardennes yeast, but I'm glad your version came out great! I need to rebrew this soon.

I might have to hit it with the Ardennes yeast next time (oh yes there will be a next time)

I'm halfway through glass 2. It's really quite amazing.. I'm really digging the banana flavor in this.. Meshes really well with the dry hops (I hit it with 1 oz of Centenial for DH)

whitebirdfeathers said:
I'm pretty stoked on your recipe. I have a pack of wyest 3711 French Saison that I may use to give a bit of spice. Any thoughts?

Ive used 3711 and I don't think it has enough Belgian character to work as a clone.

That said, it would be interesting to see how it comes out. If I used 3711 I'd ferm high, like 85 and crash the yeast before you get to low, 3711 will take you into single digits especially at a high ferm temp.

Just cracked open an old belgo. All the aroma flavor is done. I'm getting super pepper and citrus bitter. No fruit from the yeast I'm talking pepper all the way. Is this a bad bottle because I don't remember pepper

Just cracked open an old belgo. All the aroma flavor is done. I'm getting super pepper and citrus bitter. No fruit from the yeast I'm talking pepper all the way. Is this a bad bottle because I don't remember pepper

You should get a huge Amarillo aroma, mostly fruit and citrus, if not I'd say its a bit old.

For the pepper, I'd expect that a bit with a Belgian yeast, but the lack of aroma makes me suspect some age on the bottle.

I'll be doing this on the weekend, although we don't have access to Honey Malt in this country, so I'll be subbing in cara-belge and Melanoiden malt.
No Simcoe either, so its been subbed for amarillo as well.

I'll be doing this on the weekend, although we don't have access to Honey Malt in this country, so I'll be subbing in cara-belge and Melanoiden malt.

Sounds good, let us know how it turns out. About time for me to rebrew this.

Oh and by the way I've turned it Partial Mash, to shorten the Brew day...
It'll lower the abv a little, but it sounds like it'll still taste awesome!

This recipe sounds intriguing to me and has me wanting to brew it.

I have had a pack of Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison) laying in my fridge that needs used and was wondering if this would work for this recipe? I also have some WLP400 Belgian Yeast that has been washed but I was hoping I could use the Wyeast to get rid of it?

Any thoughts on if the 3724 would work?

Thanks.

This recipe sounds intriguing to me and has me wanting to brew it.

I have had a pack of Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison) laying in my fridge that needs used and was wondering if this would work for this recipe? I also have some WLP400 Belgian Yeast that has been washed but I was hoping I could use the Wyeast to get rid of it?

Any thoughts on if the 3724 would work?

Thanks.

it'll make beer :)
I couldnt offer an opinion with this exact recipe, but I'd give it a go, half a split batch at least, to see if its something you'd make again. I like Saison yeast,
If it were me, I'd split at least 1 gallon off and ferment with the saison yeast. alternatively you could half it, or just do the whole lot?

it'll make beer :)
I couldnt offer an opinion with this exact recipe, but I'd give it a go, half a split batch at least, to see if its something you'd make again. I like Saison yeast,
If it were me, I'd split at least 1 gallon off and ferment with the saison yeast. alternatively you could half it, or just do the whole lot?

Splitting it sounds like an option. I have since searched for Belgian IPA's that use 3724 with favorable reviews. But I think I'll just go with a split batch between the 3734 and the WLP400 to see which one is better. You are right though that either way, in the end, I will have beer! :D

At any rate, it will be a while before I get around to brewing this beer as Strawberry harvest season is approaching here in Ohio and I've got plans on making some delish Strawberry Wheat for my next couple of batches! :mug:

Splitting it sounds like an option. I have since searched for Belgian IPA's that use 3724 with favorable reviews. But I think I'll just go with a split batch between the 3734 and the WLP400 to see which one is better. You are right though that either way, in the end, I will have beer! :D

At any rate, it will be a while before I get around to brewing this beer as Strawberry harvest season is approaching here in Ohio and I've got plans on making some delish Strawberry Wheat for my next couple of batches! :mug:

Sounds good post back with results. Personally i think you'll prefer the 3724 strain.

Back