New Beer Glasses Delivered -- Pretentious Beer Glasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mister704

Reaction score
Just delivered today(Pretentious Beer Glass Company)... these glasses are THE ****!!! Sheesh...so glad I ordered them already and haven't even used them.

Built solid...heavy heavy glasses.

mhQOSr4.jpg

Normal weight of my old sniffer glass

ZtXJUxQ.jpg

The new ones weighed

OnpzUPs.jpg

6GRNFew.jpg

yNOurzO.jpg

Those look slick. Is that nucleation point in glass one (third pic) supposed to look like a fire when full of beer?

EDIT: Cool! They are located in Knoxville! I might have to check them out next time I'm up that way.

those are pretty cool but not for that price imo, i can get pin lock kegs for the price of one of those.

Those look slick. Is that nucleation point in glass one (third pic) supposed to look like a fire when full of beer?

EDIT: Cool! They are located in Knoxville! I might have to check them out next time I'm up that way.

Each glass is made for a type of beer. The one with the mountain is made for continuously releasing carbonation

Good video here

Last edited by a moderator:
A sideways Black and Tan? :drunk:
I wonder how much beer gets spilled with that bifurcated glass.

Is there a recommended, non-abrasive cleaning method for beer glasses that might handle all that 3D stuff going on in these?

Cheers!

A sideways Black and Tan? :drunk:
I wonder how much beer gets spilled with that bifurcated glass.

Is there a recommended, non-abrasive cleaning method for beer glasses that might handle all that 3D stuff going on in these?

Cheers!

I'm on the fence with that glass. I think it's cool to have that kind of glass for that kind of beer, but B&Ls, H&Hs, etc. are supposed to eventually mix right? Still a cool looking glass.

I may spring for the Robbie the Robot glass. "Danger! Will Robinson...Empty beer Will Robinson!....."

verre-biere-06-507x800.jpg

robbytherobot.jpg

Not gonna lie, I don't really like their glasses and simply can't believe their prices.

I can understand that. I wouldn't want to outfit my bar with just those glasses as I would have more money in glasses than I have in the materials to build my bar. That's where Dollar Tree is your friend ($1/glass).

That being said, I think you're paying for more than just "another beer glass". Each glass is hand blown and unique, so you're paying for a work of art that can also be filled with your beer. IMO, it's no different than comparing some of our beers, or the craft beers we love, to BMC. Some of the Bud light folk can't believe I would pay almost $10 for a six pack of craft beer when they can get 2-3 times of that for Bud Light.

Am I seeing this correctly? Your stout glass is 1lb? Man, you need some muscle to bring that stout to your lips!

Yep...that is correct. 1LB glass dry weight. They are definitely a "mans" glass.

I can understand that. I wouldn't want to outfit my bar with just those glasses as I would have more money in glasses than I have in the materials to build my bar. That's where Dollar Tree is your friend ($1/glass).

That being said, I think you're paying for more than just "another beer glass". Each glass is hand blown and unique, so you're paying for a work of art that can also be filled with your beer. IMO, it's no different than comparing some of our beers, or the craft beers we love, to BMC. Some of the Bud light folk can't believe I would pay almost $10 for a six pack of craft beer when they can get 2-3 times of that for Bud Light.

Exactly....I look at it that I like what I like so I purchase what I like. No different than me buying Sam Adams Utopias. I do it because I like the hobby.

If money was my *main* focus...I would not being brewing beer. Nothing cheap about it. You find me a hobby that you spend no money on...and I will tell you that you are not doing your hobby right.

Okay, I'll say this and then not spoil the thread. I wouldn't pay $1/glass for those. I don't like them. I'm not trying to be a dick, just one guys opinion.

I'd pay a lot for really nice glassware that I liked. Maybe even the prices they are asking. It'd just have to be something that seemed nice to me. I'm more than happy for those who find that experience in the glasses from the Pretentious Beer Glass Company.

Really not trying to ruin the thread. I'm out. No more negativity.

Full disclosure: I do not mean to be a total ass. But, that said: I am, most likely going to come across as a total ass!
There is no way in hell I am going to buy this glassware! This is designed for the total hipster/ beer snob who feels that s/he has to have the "latest" thing. I see no advantage to this glassware. Honestly...... This is a huge waste of money.

Mike

Those are some pretty cool glasses. Enjoy!
I agree, I'm not in this hobby to save money either. I'm in it to waste my spare time and money while getting enjoyment in the end. Instead of me saying "Let me show you my stamp collection, but don't breathe too heavy!" I get to pour you something in a glass and say "Tell me what you think of this."

While I don't use them everyday, I do have specific beer style glasses along with a set of Riedel glasses for my sipping Tequilas and they do make a difference. I think the Pretentious Limestone glass is going on my birthday present list. My Rums could use a little love too.

What bothers me is.....why was your old sniffer glass in the freezer? :p

Hey I respect everyones opinion. Your aren't coming off as an ass to me at all. Everyone likes what they like.

Same goes for me. I didn't take any of the comments from those who don't favor these glasses as being negative. I'm far from being a hipster. Hipster dufus maybe, but more dufus than hip. :p

Very cool glasses. I like them, but wouldn't purchase them. I have a knack for dropping fragile things. In fact, I'm on my 17th hydrometer! Lol! I'm also the only guy at work who wears steel toes. :ban:

I do have a nice collection of rocks glasses though. I buy them 2 at a time, just in case. Lol!

I always seem to find fantastic glasses when I go shopping with the wife. Home Goods for plain old fashioned stuff, and sometimes a few interesting designs. Crate & Barrel usually has "different" styles of fancy lad glasses. I've bought a few fun designs there. Broke most of them though... :( lol!

Then there's the hipster boutiques in the city. Overpriced and gut wrenching to say the least...

Those literally made me spit up some wine.
Too cute by half. And aptly named.

Still, have fun with it. Life is gawdawful short...

Cheers! :mug:

Great gift idea for a beer lover. I wouldn't be upset if my in-laws or wife got a set of these as a bday/xmas gift but I'd never buy these for myself. I'd rather spend the 180 on new brewing stuff or on grains and hops.
The way I see folks going to extreme measures, and paying crazy prices, to hunt down whatever must have beer is currently out I'm surprised these glasses aren't received better on this thread. Haha.

Simply consuming beer is becoming an art. What you're drinking, how you're drinking it and where seems to be just as important as what you're drinking it out of. I'm still in the dark ages of the pint glass and a regular ole beer. I'll occasionally grab a snifter if I'm feeling saucy.

Enjoy your cool glasses, man!

Here's what I'm a bit confused about:

I own a number of quality beer and wine glasses from Riedel and Spiegelau, and in general the higher quality (read: more expensive) they are, the thinner and lighter the glass.

On the flip side, I have some cool looking margarita and champagne flutes that are hand blown... They cost $6-8 and are fairly heavy.

My point being, if I bought a beer glass that weighed 1lb (and wasn't crystal), I would assume it's low quality.

Can anyone chime in on glass thickness/weight vs quality?

Here's what I'm a bit confused about:

I own a number of quality beer and wine glasses from Riedel and Spiegelau, and in general the higher quality (read: more expensive) they are, the thinner and lighter the glass.

On the flip side, I have some cool looking margarita and champagne flutes that are hand blown... They cost $6-8 and are fairly heavy.

My point being, if I bought a beer glass that weighed 1lb (and wasn't crystal), I would assume it's low quality.

Can anyone chime in on glass thickness/weight vs quality?

I'd imagine the hand blown ones are heavier because it's difficult to hand form a really thin glass while the production ones are thin because materials (glass) are a big cost of mass production and automation allows you to form thinner products.

I personally think a heavy ass glass detracts from the beer. I'm partial to more traditional glass shapes, I have some Libby tulip and hefe glasses and some can glasses which I love for not only beer but just about everything else. They were all about $1-$2 each.

Spiegelau

In my opinion, they are the best in this business. :mug:

I was recently at my local Binny's, and they had a bunch of glassware on clearance. I was amazed when I saw quite a few glasses with "Spiegelau" etched on the bottom. I couldn't believe it. With prices ranging from $4 to $10, I went ahead and bought them all. There were 6 BCBS snifters in the mix too. Liquor stores in the area were selling those for $30-$35 a piece last year!

Spiegelau glassware is light, perfectly clear, and flawless. The perfect way to pamper a beer lover. Lol!

Not my kind of glassware - I'm a traditionalist at heart, with a strong preference for boring nonic-style glasses - but I like the dude's moxie. I watched their video:

Dude's really articulate and passionate, and I admire that he's found a way to live off his art. I'd love to be where he is someday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I seeing this correctly? Your stout glass is 1lb? Man, you need some muscle to bring that stout to your lips!

Gives new meaning to the fitness routine "12-ounce curls." :)

I wonder what such a heavy glass does to the temperature of the beer. When I'm cooling a mash sample to measure pH, I use a small, heavy whiskey glass I've kept in the freezer to cool it down fast. I wonder if you'd have to pour a beer 4- or 6-degrees colder than you wanted to drink in a glass that weighs 1 pound.

On the other hand, my guess is it's a glass for slow drinking. :)

Back