New Bayou propane burner - black paint burned RIGHT OFF!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantonsoup

Reaction score
So I'm assuming this can't be normal, can it? Used my brand new Bayou propane burner and the black enamel paint was turned into grey ash wherever it got hot. Simple, 1 hour extract brew boil...

Normal? Can't be, can it??

The paint burned off mine as well...I think it's normal...just keep out of the weather and don't let it rust. I guess you could try using high temp paint.

So I'm assuming this can't be normal, can it? Used my brand new Bayou propane burner and the black enamel paint was turned into grey ash wherever it got hot. Simple, 1 hour extract brew boil...

Normal? Can't be, can it??

Had the same thing happen with my DarkStar. I don't worry about it too much, but it did make me raise an eyebrow. The high temp paint suggestion is not a bad one.

Yup, completely normal. Seems like it was even listed on my instruction sheets as well. Use a wire brush and clean it up before putting your pots on there to keep them clean on the bottom. Once it burns off, it will easily rust, so keep it in a dry area when not in use.

PS, if it really bothers you, you can get some VHT header paint and it should hold up to the flame if properly cured. I've used this stuff on my stand for parts that have direct flame exposure and it works well. You'd need to wire brush the whole burner frame to bare steel, then paint with 3 coats of the VHT and cure in your oven per the instructions on the can. It stinks up the house a bit, but causes no permanent damage. Here's the stuff I used: VHT Paint

But, again, only bother with this for aesthetic reasons. Burning the paint off of these burners is totally normal and they'll hold up indefinitely as-is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks for the reassurances...

WTF are they painting it with if NOT a high-temp paint for god's sake. Charge me an extra buck and do it right from the factory sheesh.

I thought that was funny the first day I fired up mine. Oh well, boils wort like a champ.

Ok thanks for the reassurances...

WTF are they painting it with if NOT a high-temp paint for god's sake. Charge me an extra buck and do it right from the factory sheesh.

Those bayou boys like it cheap! A little rust doesn't affect the performance of these things; you can have yourself a big ol' crawfish boil with a rusty burner, no problem, and you'll save a few bucks for more beer/crawfish/etc

My 8-gallon pot still has a black residue from the first time I used my SQ14 burner. The smoke smelled terrible and I eventually took the pot off to allow the paint to burn away so it wouldn't stain up the pot any more than it already had...

That was at least 4 years ago, only surface rust on the burner frame where the paint was burnt off. I store it inside, of course.

I've a King Kooker and the paint on it burned off pretty quick too. I think it's only there to look good until it's bought.

Latest posts

Back