New Bayou Classic kettle conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstacy1974

Reaction score
How it started.
VideoCapture_20210115-221839.jpg

Halfway through.
VideoCapture_20210115-222028.jpg

Almost there.
VideoCapture_20210115-222106.jpg

Passed a 7 gallon hot water leak test.
Drained it down to 3 gals that will sit overnight, just to make sure the bulkheads are holding.
Tomorrow will be pickup tube install, wire the element, solder the RTD plug.
A light scrub with bar keepers friend then test fire!

Very nice. Can we get a peak inside?
Here you go. The two ports on the right are the main outlet and the whirlpool return. I'll get the tubes attached later today. The RTD is wired and functional. Still need to wire the element. Cleaned and passivated the kettle this morning. Hope to do a test run later today.
20210116_111100.jpg

I think bending copper tube for the pickup and whirlpool was a bad idea. I guess if it works, I can live with it being ugly. Test run tomorrow.

Did a test run last night. About a 10 min boil. By the end the water was yellow with orange residue on the bottom of the kettle. Rust, really. Gosh, I hope that was a one time issue.
Try again later today.

I plan on doing the same, but one step at a time, I don't trust myself that much yet hahaha

Wouldn't you get a lot of hop material into the FV?
Most of the time, there are no issues with some of the hops and other trub going into the fermenter. I did experience a loss of wort in the kettle about two batches ago, when I used 13 ounces in the boil. I could have used a filter then.
With low to moderate hop levels, a decent whirlpool will keep much of that material in the kettle. That's what I'm going for with this build.

Looks great but one question. Why the TC (other than element)?

If you've been on this site for any length of time, you may know there's lots of debate on TC fittings on smaller kettles (10 gals or less).
My logic for going TC was...
1. They're cool. Yeah, I know. Not a real good reason, but come on.
2. They're super easy to clean. Even with some threaded fittings in the mix, TC connections are easy to clean.
3. Many of the homebrew manufacturers are starting to put TC fittings on kettles, fermenters, valves, and other accessories. I'm somewhat preparing my setup for what's coming down the line with the homebrew equipment market.
4. The biggest reason for me is the fact I don't have running water in my brewing space. The TC fittings give me the ability to fully breakdown my kettle for cleaning in the kitchen sink or bathtub. There are no cords or valves sticking out at awkward angles. I can quickly spray and wipe at the end of the brew day. Likewise, I can do the same with the valves, element, and RTD. Rinse, wipe, or scrub, quickly and easily.

What is coming down the line ?

Where did you get your weldless triclamp fittings ? What size are they ?
I'm just guessing that more and more homebrew equipment manufacturers will utilize triclamp fittings based on market offerings right now.

The triclamps are 1.5 inch. I do much of my shopping on AliExpress and Amazon.

Back