New at this - and naturally I may have messed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbfan41

Reaction score
Okay so I know there is tons of these threads in here but I couldn't find anyone with this situation.

To start things out, I am brewing a Weizenbier and I believe that I may have added too much water to my primary fermenter, After about half a day i noticed the yeast caught but when I came back I noticed it overflowed and popped out the air trap, So I went back (with sterile equipment) and took some beer out to ensure there was some room for the CO2 to go off. I noticed a drop off in the pressure, however it still bubbled a day later.

I guess I wonder if I messed anything up, such as I worry that I took my yeast off the top when I took the beer out...

What you experienced is quite common. Wheat beers can have pretty violent fermentations and often require what is called a blow-off tube. Luckily for you, it sounds like it didn't explode or otherwise erupt and spew beer all over.

As long as you were sanitary when dealing with the airlock and cleanup, you'll be fine.

Next time, leave a little head space in your fermenter, ideally use a 6 or 6.5 gallon fermenter to hold a 5 or 5.5 gallon batch, plus use a blow-off tube as insurance.

Some will say you don't need to use a blow-off tube, but I find it is a cheap insurance policy and I use them for all batches. Just sanitize it as you would anything else that touches your post-boil wort.

Welcome to HBT, and good luck with your brewing.

Thank you that is very relieving , Will my beer be 'lame' cause I didn't leave that room in my primary fermenter and kind of watered it down?

Back