New All Grain Brew-continues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brwmistr

Reaction score
Well I learned a thing or two about batch numbers and I kicking myself now. I don't have a wort chiller and that is a problem. I was unable to get the batch temp down so as with my other extract kits I've used in the past added cold water. I went from a 2 Gallon all grain batch and when the temp was right ended at 5 Gallon. I pitched the yeast it went thru the ferment stage finish at 1.005 and even smelled like it was going to be a good roasted black stout. Then I tasted it. It was like taking a good stout and adding water for 80% of the glass way to weak for any good flavor. OPPS! my bad. I have some equipment to procure before I start up again I guess.
My next batch will be a Chocolate Stout for the winter.

Nothing wrong by adding water as long as you then do it by checking your hydrometer and not the volume or temp. I also do not have a chiller, but i just close the lid and leave it in a bath of cold water for 2-3 hours.

If it was supposed to be a 5 gallon batch, you are probably fine. How long has it sat before you tasted it? It could just still be green. Some folks on here will let the wort sit overnight to cool before pitching, the sooner the better, but adding extra water that shouldn't be in there is not the right way to go.

That's were I messed up. I originally went for a 2Gallon trial batch and went over board on the cooling water. I did bottle some so I will see if this "Green" beer will improve with age. I was under the impression that you shouldn't leave the wort to long. How long is long? 1 day, 2day?

It should be fine to cool overnight, 8 hours or so should be plenty. Getting it down to room temp will be close enough and then use a swamp cooler, just a rubbermaid container that will hold the bucket, fill with water and add some frozen water bottles around to keep it at a lower temperature. I'll have to say you probably won't overcome the watered down flavor on this one. You wouldn't have enough fermentables to overcome that additional water. It may be drinkable, but definitely learn from this round and good luck with the next! :mug:

One more thing,
Here is my trial batch recipe I made from pearl Barley toasted in my oven at 445deg F until black. I would like to ask everyone if they think this will work.
900gram Blackened Barley
500grams Medium Dry Malt
300grams Dextrose
10 Bags China Green Tea replacement for Hops
6 Fresh Basil Leaves Aroma and nutrients.
Temp held at 160degs F for 10mins (Barley)
Boil Time: 60mins
Bitters in at 30mins
Aroma in at 15mins

I then poured the wort into my fermentor (a Coopers style) added the dry Malt stirred and then added the water for temp. I pitched the yeast at 30degs Celsius. The yeast is also coopers beer style.
Let me know what you think.

If you're doing another 2 gallon batch, seems like it should work to get you ~1.058 OG and should finish around 1.016. Can't really speak to the tea bags and basil, personally not that big a fan of basil. IT seems like you can use the tea leaves in a dry hop stage to get the flavoring, but technically speaking, it's not beer without some hops in it. What style beer are you going for, a porter?

I don't have a wort chiller and that is a problem.

Yes, you really should invest, unless you have access to a snowbank ;)

Go to Home depot and you can start with 20' (40' would be better) of 3/8" copper tubing roll, I may even add Stainless to mine since it is much cheaper, 10' of high temp tubing, 3 hose clamps, 1 garden hose female connector and 1 garden hose shut off to throttle the inlet water.

Coil the tubing. Use 6' of hose to attach to the bottom with a hose clamp and on the other end clamp on the garden hose connection and shut off valve screws in here, this will be the inlet. On the outlet clamp on the remaining hose and you are G2G. Aim the outlet hose at you dry plants and turn on the water inlet and cool away.

You can see some of my cooler here

Just so I am clear, your recipe was initialy for 2 gallons, but you toped off with 3 gallons equalling 5 Gallons. What was your OG? Also, what did you do to try and cool down your two gallons? Did you put it in an ice bath?

I went from boiling wort and added 3Gallons cold water to total 5 Gallons. This lowered the temperature a lot but not enought to pitch the yeast in the same day. My O.G was 1.024

You should only add top off water to reach your intended Amount. If your recipe was for two gallons, and after boiling you have 1.5 gallons left, you would top off with a half gallon to equal 2 gallons. to cool your wort, you want to fill a sink or tub with ice water, then gently put your pot into the icewater. careful not to spill any or have any water leak into your pot. then gently stir the wort to get it to proper temperature. this used to take me around 45 minutes with about 3.5 gallons. It's a pain. I finally saved up and got a wort chiller but with the heat we are having, it still takes pretty long to get those last 15 degrees.

Thanks for the reply. I have since revamped the recipe and got my equipment now in order. Batch 10 is underway a strong chocolate porter/stout.

Back