New 120v 2000 watt recirculating BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverz

Reaction score
So I was going to do a build thread but got too excited when parts showed up and built mostly everything without takings pics.

I just got done attaching* screws to the strainer basket and I also installed a switch in the controller box so I can manually turn the element on or off as needed.

I've decided to just use silicone hose from the pump for recirculating. I was going to add a bunch of quick disconnect fittings but now I may not.

Alternatively, I was going to drill a hole through the lid and install a bulkhead through it similar to the unibrau mini. I've decided against that mainly because I want to be able to recirculate with the lid off.

I think the only time I'll ever really use the lid is for storage so there's not much point in drilling or notching holes in it.

GFCI is getting installed tomorrow.

Here's a few pics.

View attachment 1482807315680.jpg

View attachment 1482807338059.jpg

View attachment 1482807356298.jpg

View attachment 1482807376937.jpg

View attachment 1482807392671.jpg

Can you post a link to the pump?

I have a similar system and use the tan 12v pump and looking into a different one to mount inline like you did with quick connects.

There are several on ebay. I think this is the one I chose.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192060438395

I gutted a 24v power supply wall wort and have that installed in the control box along with a PWM circuit to control the pump flow. So far I've only ran with it all full power so the PWM circuit probably isn't worth it.

I would like to have some quick disconnects on the pump. It'll be nice to just pop it off when in storage.

I would like to have some quick disconnects on the pump. It'll be nice to just pop it off when in storage.

I was just about to say, you're gonna want to be able to take that pump off. Reason being, given your pump design and system layout there will always be some residual water left in the pump casing. You'll want to disconnect it so you can let it drip dry between brew days. You'll have some pretty gross stuff in your pump in short order if you don't.

Hahahah I"m the first baby! yeah!!!

The wiring diagram is loosely based off of one of PJ's single element 120v diagrams.

The knob controls the DC pump and is connected to a PWM circuit I purchased from ebay. It turns it on/off and can be used to control flow via pump speed.

My quick disconnects finally arrived from China. It only took 38 days for shipping! Lesson learned there.

Anyway, I can now easily remove the pump assembly as well as the hose.

I also replaced my cheap ball valve with a nice 3 piece valve I just didn't get any pics.

Overall, I am very happy with this setup. I love how compact and simple it is compared to my prior propane burning system.

View attachment 1483837076467.jpg

View attachment 1483837090541.jpg

Awesome! I built a pretty similar system a few years ago also based off of one of PJ's designs. Love brewing small and simple.

Nice build!
How many batches did you already do with this rig?

Thanks man! So far I've done 3 batches. Brewing on this kind of system is so fast and easy I've ran myself out of fermentation/storage vessels.

I've never bottled but I may start just so I can keep brewing and stockpiling stouts.

My next investment is going to be an oxygenation wand of some type. I'm still deciding what approach I want to take with that. I'll probably just end up buying or building a wand and use disposal oxygen tanks for that.

Nice setup.

I had one of these pumps and it would just stop. I had to literally push the rotor with a paper clip to get it rotating again (it wasn't grain pieces). I replaced it with a tan one and it has worked fine for a year. Not sure why. I use a Chugger for must liquid movements.

Picked up a couple shorty's! Time to move some beer and open up some fermentors so I can brew again this weekend. Not sure what I'm going to brew yet though.

I've been on a milk stout kick lately and think I might try something along those lines but with peanut butter added into the mix.

View attachment 1484375471894.jpg

Tried doing a New Holland Dragon Milk Imperial stout clone last night and managed to find the limit of what I can do on my mini system. 10 lbs of grain ended up being way too much. Now I wish I would have went with a larger kettle. Maybe I should have tried mashing without the basket. That would have gave the grain a little more wiggle room. I sure am glad I went with a bazooka screen. It totally saved my butt.

I also learned that drinking imperial stouts while making imperial stouts can lead to a really big mess. I had 2 boil overs and forgot to measure preboil gravity. Whatever...I'll still drink it.

View attachment 1486318640804.jpg

I also learned that drinking imperial stouts while making imperial stouts can lead to a really big mess.

Yes!!! Imperial Stouts are a post brew celebratory brew for certain.
Nice setup though, I have a very similar one also based off a PJ diagram. Good news is that if you need to in the future a bigger kettle is an easy, if more expensive, problem to fix. :tank:

Latest posts

Back